Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Cad details into Revit

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
mmcglone
1504 Views, 4 Replies

Converting Cad details into Revit

If I wanted to convert cad details into revit details, how would I go about it?  My first thought is to make a line based detail component for each cad detail and insert them that way.  Any advice?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: mmcglone

One method would be to import the DWG file into a Family or Project and then Explode it. Select Import and the command is on the Contextual tab.

Wikihelp: Exploding Imported Geometry

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 5
mmcglone
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Well I had luck with importing the detail into a drafting view at 12"=1' but when I put it on a sheet, it shows the scale on the detail callout.  Is there a way to change the callout to read scale:none or just get it to not display the scale in general?

If I was going to use a family what base template would you suggest.

Message 4 of 5
CoreyDaun
in reply to: mmcglone

In order to get rid of the scale, you have to load in a new Title Tag that in which that text is static text or is removed. Then you can create a new Viewport Type and assign that tag to use with it. Just let us know if you run into trouble with this.

The method depends on how you want to use these details with your projects. Either you can create "Detail Component" Families and load them in as needed, or you can import your details and explode them in Drafting Views in your Project Template file, so you'll have them every time. Keep in mind that you cannot (I hope it is "yet") make Dependent Views from Drafting Views, so creating a master detail view is not very helpful.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 5
mmcglone
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I ended up just making an annotation symbol, that way I can drop them straight on a sheet.  Works for what I want, thanks for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report