Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing wire types in same project

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
cesslinger
568 Views, 6 Replies

Changing wire types in same project

Is there a way to show an underground wire in revit MEP 2014 without changing all wire types.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: cesslinger

I believe that the best method would be to use a View Filter using the following steps:

1. Create a new Project Parameter (Yes/No) called "Underground" that applies to the "Wires" Category. (If you don't want to create a new Parameter, you can just use the "Comments" field under the Wire's Properties and enter something like "U".)

2. Create a new View Filter under Visibility/Graphics Overrides* that applies to the "Wires" Category. Set the Filter Rules to "Underground" "Equals" "Yes". (If you are using the "Comments" field instead, it should be "Comments" "Equals" "U" or whatever text designation you prefer.)

3. Add this View Filter to the View (or View Template) and define a Line Pattern Override to be applied to the applicable Wires.

*Note that you may have to edit the View Template if there is one controlling the current View's visibility settings.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 7
ajax05k
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I agree with CADastrophe, but instead of creating project parameter, we can use Type Mark, URL in the Filter rules....
Is there any specific reason behind creating project parameter for using them in filters
Ajay K. HVAC Designer, BIM Modeler
Message 4 of 7
CoreyDaun
in reply to: ajax05k

ajax05k wrote:
"I agree with CADastrophe, but instead of creating project parameter, we can use Type Mark, URL in the Filter rules....
Is there any specific reason behind creating project parameter for using them in filters"

I would use a Project Parameter to make the operation clear (or at least clearer) to all users without having to explain to each of them how to use the work-around method. If you are just doing this yourself and you will remember the method (among all of the other possible cryptic work-arounds), then you certainly do not need the Project Parameter.

Additionally, in this case I would stick to "Comments" so that it remains an Instance Parameter. If wish to create a dedicated Wire Type for underground wiring, it would be better to just have the View Filter setup with the rule "Type Name" "contains" "underground" rather than use a Type Parameter. I would have definately suggested this method had the OP not specifically said "without changing all wire types".

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 7
ajax05k

Thank U for clearing that up, S its better to use instance parameter rather than type parameter, bcoz it would give us the complete freedom over every element
Ajay K. HVAC Designer, BIM Modeler
Message 6 of 7
cesslinger

Thank you all for your help! I will try it.

Teah Dioguardi
Westside Engineering

5525 Interstate North Parkway
Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30328
c. 404-918-9021404-918-9021
f. 404-601-9859
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype
Message 7 of 7
cesslinger
in reply to: ajax05k

Thank you both, it worked!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report