Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central file/local copy query

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
WheelerCJ
534 Views, 5 Replies

Central file/local copy query

Just a quick one for now...

I've sharted worked on a shared project, I've saved the central file as a local copy and have made changes and synced back to the central. All work fine.

I've just noticed that I havent renamed my local copy, it's the same name as the central. To avoid confusion I would like this renamed. Can I simply rename this without messing everything up or am I safer just creating a new local file from the central and renaming it at that stage?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CoreyDaun
in reply to: WheelerCJ

Shouldn't be a problem - you can rename your local file however you want (as long as you don't have it open Smiley Wink).

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
WheelerCJ
in reply to: CoreyDaun

That's great, thanks.

Another one - working on my local file - we have only got the default  worksets set up and everyone works on Workset1. When I sync with central does that relinquish my elements that I've worked on or do I still need to click the 'Relinquish All Mine' button before/after the sync?

Because we are all working on the same workset1 does that mean if I click any element I instantly become the owner of that element until I relinquish it? even if I don't modify the element am I still the owner?

Thanks

Message 4 of 6
CoreyDaun

If you have checked-out one or more Worksets*, you take ownership of all elements assigned to those Worksets. All other elements become "borrowed" when you manipulate them, which means you are a "temporary" owner. When you Synchronize with Central, you relinquish ownership of all "borrowed" elements; the elements that belong to a "checked-out" Workset are only relinquished by using "Relinquish All Mine". Here, we very, very seldom check out Worksets, as we often have more than one user working with elements on the same Workset.

Note that there are other types of elements that work the same way, but do not belong to a standard Workset, such as Views and Family definitions. Under the 'Worksets' dialog, you can see what I mean by this; there are checkboxes to display these other types of elements.

*One can "check-out" a Workset by going to the Collaborate tab » Worksets, and changing the "Editable" column to "Yes" for one or more Worksets.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 6
WheelerCJ
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Thats, great.

No we haven't checked out worksets, as I said we only have the default worksets and everyone works on 'workset1' and we regurally sync back to central. If I click on a pipe but don't actually do anything with it is that still borrowed by myself until a sync with central?

If the project has specific worksets is it possible to borrow all items on a workset and sync to release or is the way you explained above the only way to work on workset elements, ie take ownership and relinquish?

Can two people not check out a workset at the same time?

Message 6 of 6
CoreyDaun

No. Simply clicking on an element will not cause it to become borrowed. If you change it in any way, it will, and taking ownership it is not an "undoable" thing. FYI - each element reports its owner under Properties, with the Parameter "Edited by".

Two people cannot have the same Workset checked out at the same time, nor can they can the same element borrowed. Every time you attempt to take ownership of an element (make a change), your Local File communicates back to the Central File and either grants you ownership or reports that the element is already owned by someone else.

I suppose there are ways to check out all of the elements that belong to a Workset as borrowed, but why? Just so no one has to remember to "Relinquish All Mine" at the end of the day, I assume. I can't think of a practical way to do this, but I tihnk it would be better to not cater to laziness or forgetfulness. If someone leave and still has a Workset checked out, you can change your User Name (under Options) to theirs, open the Project (new Local file), and relinquish for them. Do that ONLY if necessary, though, because if he hasn't synched, there is a possibility of lost work. (You can check synch history by going to "Show History" on the Collaborate tab.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report