Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Central File or Not

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Lev97
375 Views, 6 Replies

Central File or Not

Hello to all,

I have a Central file on my computer and it knows It's a Central file because when I highlight it, It wants to create a local file.

When I upload the file To A DropBox Folder over the internet to share with someone, when I highlight it, it does NOT want to create a Local file.

It thinks it's a Local file not a Central file. 

What happended?

Can anybody tell me what's going on?

Thanks

...............................................There's gotta b a way outa dis.........................

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
brettgatti
in reply to: Lev97

The file that you copied to Dropbox is "technically" a local file.

Any time you make a copy of a Central file (regardless of where it is copied), Revit thinks that file is a local version of the original Central file.

Message 3 of 7
CoreyDaun

The user who is receiving the Revit Model has two options:

1. Open the Revit Model with the option "Detach from Central" (located in the Open FIle dialog) and then save the file elsewhere.

2. With the Local file open, go to Save As ► Project, and in that dialog click "Options...". Select the option "Make this a Central Model after save".

-----------------------------------------   OR   --------------------------------------------

If you want to make it easier on the recipient, you could open your Central model "Detach From Central" and select "Detach and discard Worksets" and Worksharing will be disabled. This will not affect your model as long as the 'Detach' option is selected. You can then save this file elsewhere and send it off without worrying about Central/Local file structure.

NOTE: If you have V/G settings involving Workset visibility, caution is advised as this visibility control will vanish if Worksharing is disabled.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 7
Lev97
in reply to: brettgatti

I see. Anytime...From anywhere...To Anyplace. If the Central File (CF) moves it becomes a Local File. Wow. ok. 

1. The (CF) was created on a local computer and sent to a DropBox (DB) folder.

2. The Mechanical Engr. has a Local file that needs to sync w/ central (SWC).

3. The Plumbing Engr. has a Local file that needs to sync w/ central.

4. We're in different locations, hence, the DropBox.

So, we reestabilish the (CF) on the (DB) folder? Is it hardwired for location, 

having already been a (CF) somewhere else?

How do we make a (CF) in the DropBox? and SWC?

It sounds simple. but I don't know much @ (DB).

Hope I'm not asking for to much.

Thanks

................................there's gotta b a way outa dis............................ 

Message 5 of 7
CoreyDaun

In that case, check out this thread: Central file use on Dropbox?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 7
Lev97
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Hello

CADastrophe

I'm gonna ask a silly question.

......and that works with (DropBox)?

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
Lev97
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Will Do 

Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report