Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant connect duct tap (boot) into my main rectangular duct

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
RedMan77
8104 Views, 8 Replies

Cant connect duct tap (boot) into my main rectangular duct

Was hoping someone could enilghten me as to why I cant seem to get a duct tap to connect to my main duct.  The duct tap, no matter if the elevation is matched, wil not connect to my duct. I thought this was a pretty basic.  I can connect a round duct into my main rectangular duct, as well as a tee with no issue.  Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CoreyDaun
in reply to: RedMan77

What error message are you receiving? Are you using the default Revit Family for the Tap? If not, can you attach the Family here? Also, what version of Revit are you using?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 9
RedMan77
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Using Revit 2014.  Not receiving any error message.  I select Rectangular Duct Tap - Beveled Standard. It will not connect to a horizontal duct.  The edge or middle of the duct IM trying to connect to highlights.  I didnt think I needed to specify the height but even when I did to match the duct it doesnt connect.  The family is an out of the box family.  The last thing i can think that might help is when I place this fitting, it seems just place the fitting on top of the duct.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 9
CoreyDaun

Are you manually placing the Duct Tap? Revit will automatically take care of that for you according to the Routing Preferences specified under the Duct's Type Properties. Under the 'Junction' header, make sure that the desired Tap Family is specified and then the 'Preferred Junction Type' is set to "Tap". Now, using this Duct Type, you should be able to draw your branch Ducts right up to the main Duct, and Revit will place the Tap automatically for you.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 9
bvm76
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I downloaded your fitting and use with no issue.

As CADastrophe said, this should be define on your routing preference.
Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered!
Thank You.
Message 6 of 9
RedMan77
in reply to: bvm76

Thanks!  I got it.  I was placing the fitting manually which obviously was wrong.  Besides Im an electrical guy not mechanical! Just kidding.  Being given the priveledge of trying ot figure this out for the electrical/ mechanical guys in the middle of a project.  Been doing tutorials but have needed alot of help lately.  Thanks for everyone who helped.  Much appreciated.

Message 7 of 9
RedMan77

Is there a better way than to go thru and change it from tee to tap?  Seems alot of buttons to hit to make the change.   I noticed for the first time I get different options based on whether i select tee or tap.  Do you find yourself going between both frequently and if so is the way you indicated the best? I guess what I am trying to say is whats the fastest/ efficient method when you are switching between both. Thanks.

Message 8 of 9
CoreyDaun

Included in the default Mechanical Project Template, there should be two separate Duct Types for Tap and Tees. So, if the two different Duct Types are not present, I would suggest duplicating one and changing the preferring junction type. That way, you only have to make the change to the Type Selector to control Taps vs. Tees.

And for the record, I'm [generally] an electrical guy, too - so I don't really have a 'personal preference' in regards to Duct and Pipe workflow.

Message 9 of 9
rajesh5271

Hi, i was searching for the same issue. Your suggestion helped me really fats. thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report