Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you force duct to a system if it is not connected to any equpment?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
dglenn9000
989 Views, 5 Replies

Can you force duct to a system if it is not connected to any equpment?

Right now I just layed out the risers and major duct runs.  The problem is you cant tell supply, return and exhaust in the shafts.  Can you tell revit which system or type of duct it is without having to connect it to equipment?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

If it is connected to air terminals or any objects with conenctors in then it wil pick up that it is part of a default air system, whether it be Supply, Return or Exhaust.

A simple way to tell with is which is to place Duct connector families at the start of your main duct runs run, ensuring that you have the duct connector families set correctly with Supply In, Return Out, Exhaust Out for example. Then by adding filters to each view based on system type, you can colour code each different duct type. Just make sure you close off the ductwork.

You don't have to make specific systems out of these ducts as the connectors will automatically make them default systems.

If you don't want to do systems then you could add a project paramter to ducts and duct fittings to specify the duct type and combine that again with filters to colour code. However I would advise against this method as it is a time wasting exercise due to the parameter being reset to nothing almost everytime you modify the duct layout. Hence you have to keep repeating the task of adding the information into the parameter. 

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 6
asommer
in reply to: dglenn9000

What I had done in this case is duplicate the "Duct Endcap" family, make 3- Supply, Return, Exhaust.  Then set the connector to each as the name intends, it will give all the connected duct that system type.

Message 4 of 6
Jrobker
in reply to: asommer

I also use the duct endcap trick. This especially helps with complicated Mechanical room plenum duct.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 5 of 6
dglenn9000
in reply to: asommer

asommer, that worked perfectly and was exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks!!!

Message 6 of 6

That's the same process as I described earlier although you don't have to amend any duct fitting families as the OOTB content already contains duct connectors suitable for this task

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report