Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating cable lengths from different pathways along cable tray networks

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
ArynBergman
2009 Views, 3 Replies

Calculating cable lengths from different pathways along cable tray networks

Hi, we need to develop a way to calculate the lengths of fibers based upon pathways along a cable tray network within a datacenter that are associated with the cables between particular patch panels.  The Revit wire tool for electrical circuits sort of does what we need, but it's clumsy to use and not accurate enough.  It doesn't look like it takes into account changes in elevations, but please correct me if I'm wrong.  Here's what we're currently thinking as our best option:

1. Add a length parameter to the cable tray fittings, add a pathway parameter to electrical circuits, and add a label parameter the cable tray runs and fittings.
  2. Drop in the equipment.
  3. Draw the cable tray.  Label the trunks and branches, i.e. T1, T2, B1, etc.
  4. Create the circuit and add a shared/project parameter for the pathway and add the cable tray trunks and branches it's supposed to follow; i.e. T1.T2.B1.B2.
  5. Export the cable tray to a spreadsheet.
  6. Export the circuits to a spreadsheet.
  7. Use the circuit's pathway parameters to reference the trunk and branch labels of runs and fittings and their associated lengths in the cable tray spreadsheet to calculate the overall required cable length for the circuit.

If anybody has a method that they're currently using or if you have any ideas on how to streamline the above process, please share.

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Gary_Hicks
in reply to: ArynBergman

Shipconstructor electrical is a program that is just being introduced, for this. The program is a part of autocad, or tied to it. South alabama in Mobile , Alabama has a person there that is teaching the program.

Message 3 of 4
Samir_emam

Dear Sir

Kindly check Electrical Power Cable Add-ins from following links:-

Electric Power Cables

And pro product:-

Electric Power Cables Pro

Kindly check my You Tube channel videos which describe "Electric Power Cable Pro" Add-ins options through the following link:-

Electric Power Cables Add-ins videos

I wait your feedback.

Message 4 of 4
scott_dakin1

Revit 2018 has adjustable circuit lengths.

Its new and pretty cool.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report