Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building type and Space Type

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
akaymurat
3455 Views, 16 Replies

Building type and Space Type

does revit mep allow to us define a new space type and building type, Except for existings? and how can i create a new type?

Murat AKAY
Mechanical Draftsman
Hvac-Fire-Plumbing-Piping
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
LisaDrago
in reply to: akaymurat

To my understandings - you cannot create new ones. Below is an image of the existing types available.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 17
akaymurat
in reply to: LisaDrago

i checked that your sent image. for instance, if you want to design a medicine factory, how will you add a building type as the medicine factory and space type

Thanks your answers

Best Regards

Murat AKAY

Murat AKAY
Mechanical Draftsman
Message 4 of 17
LisaDrago

Maybe I am not fully understanding you.

The building type and space type parameters are used for calculating heating and cooling loads. You can adjust these settings from the default values - but over all this helps to set the parameters for the model and then down to spaces to create accurate analysis for load calculations.

You cannot add to or remoeve the existing spaces.

Not sure if this relaly helped...

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Message 5 of 17
kemalaldemir

Hi all,

Actually, the main problem is that,

We are trying to define a space or building type, except already defined ones. The main question is, how can i define room conditions instead of existing? For example, i would like to set a room as a pharmaceutical laboratory, which needs very special conditions. Could you please tell how can we adjust and dedicate settings of the room?

Thanks in advance,

Message 6 of 17
jschaad
in reply to: kemalaldemir

Did you ever find a solution to the problem of space types?

My firm is primarily in the design of bio-tec and pharmaceutical manufacturing facilities. As you know none of the Revit “space types” even come close to suiting our needs for space types. If I/we cannot add any space types then the Revit analysis tools are essentially useless to both of us. So now back to my question: Have you found a work around or a way to create additional space types? The only way that I can think of is to use another space type ex. “conference” and change its characteristics to match an “MSI lab/clean room.”   

Or, if anyone else has a solution to this problem please reply.

Message 7 of 17
CoreyDaun
in reply to: jschaad

jschaad wrote:

"...The only way that I can think of is to use another space type ex. “conference” and change its characteristics to match an “MSI lab/clean room.” " 

Unfortunately, I believe that is the only solution at this time.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 8 of 17
kemalaldemir

Unfortunately we couldn't find a proper solution. 

Message 9 of 17
akaymurat
in reply to: CoreyDaun

unfortunately we haven't yet solved 😞

Murat AKAY
Mechanical Draftsman
Message 10 of 17
Camilla.Cheng

But how can I adjust the value from the default? And if I want to change it monthly operating schedule instead of daily?

Message 11 of 17

They haven't provided a way to alter the names of Building and Space Types yet. If you can manage to ignore the names they chose to apply to each Building Type you may change any of the settings in the table to the right. Just agree within your office which Building Type you want to take over for your particular situation. It is a project specific alteration so it won't affect other projects.

For both Building and Space Types, the Occupancy, Lighting, and Power Schedules can all be altered and new configurations can be created.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 12 of 17

so it is possible to adjust the value of the building operating schedule (K-12 school, year-round ...etc) for each building type?

FYR: http://help.autodesk.com/view/RVT/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-D7436965-7973-465C-8877-C9C56129AD51

Message 13 of 17
john.kinder

OMG. This is stupid.  There has got to be a way to do this.  The question is very specific and I'm pretty sure I get it but tell me if I'm wrong: 

How does one add a "Value" for "Space Types", or any "Type" for that matter?  I work with medical facilities.  Most of their "Types" do not fall under the usual nomenclature.  I'm sure we Aint the only ones with this issue.  Are we being confined due to some IFC, BIM or BOMA standard or what?  Why would this be a locked parameter when clearly Autodesk has made no out-of-the-box attempt to make any of their Revit versions Industry specific, other than renaming them maybe.  It seems like they demand you customize pretty much everything else.  Do we need to hire a software developer if we want to continue using Revit?  Is there anyone from Autodesk that knows anything?

Also, anyone know any methods for how to keep cool when trying to do something/anything NEW with Revit?  The more I work with it the higher my blood pressure gets.  I'm not sure how to adjust my expectations with this thing but maybe someone has experienced the same who can help here.

Message 14 of 17
LisaDrago
in reply to: john.kinder

Unfortunately there still is no way of altering or adding customized space types.

There is a wishlist for Revit https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-architecture/revit-wishlist/td-p/5306169

Not the best answer but - it is something.

Making a suggestion is more helpful then berating it.

As for keeping your cool working in Revit - I am 10+ yrs now working with Revit.

There are good days and bad days. I have high expectations of how it should work, it does not always met them.

Overall - it is just a software and like anything in life there are shortcomings. Either find away around it use something that works for you.

LD

Message 15 of 17
john.kinder

Thanks LisaDrago!  Much appriciated!  I took a look at the "Wish list" and will use it from now on.

I'll treat the wishlist as chicken soup for my Revit soul though (with the expectation that they'll never act it).  At the very least you may have helped save me from a heart attack the next time something comes up.  🙂

Message 16 of 17
LisaDrago
in reply to: john.kinder

Always willing to help prevent a heart attack!

You May be surprised on the wish list...

Autodesk is listening to what people are saying. 

They may not be able to do everything we want - but they are listening.

Anytime you run into issues... Post it here on the forums. 

There are a lot of people here to help (not Autodesk employees), because we like to help figure out issues.

I know I have gotten a lot of help myself.

LD 

Message 17 of 17
toaxan

Why could not I add the user parameters in the 2018 version?
It's stupid twice.
For example, in different spaces different temperatures.

The air change rate should be set for both supply and extract.

It is desirable to have arbitrary parameters.

This introduction allowed us to have a wide range of calculations. With the use of dynamo.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report