Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to work with AutoCAD files in Revit

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Mehdi.Kardehi
734 Views, 4 Replies

Best way to work with AutoCAD files in Revit

Hi All,

Seeking you advice on the best practice to work with AutoCAD files in Revit.

I already have a procedure in place that I import all CAD views of architectural drawings to Revit (I put all 2D drawings in where they should be to make a 3D drawing). Then I do all the designs in Revit and when I am done I export them as pdf and dwgs

Is there any down fall to this? Is there a better practice out there?

Thanks for your help in advance,

Cheers,

M

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
russellvee
in reply to: Mehdi.Kardehi

I like to link the architect's DWGs to each view and use it as the background for my sheet views. I only model the architecture that is necessary for my MEP elements to attach to, then turn all that stuff off for the sheet views.

I have heard that importing large cad files will seriously affect the file size and most of my projects are around 100 MB so I try to avoid importing.

Message 3 of 5
Mehdi.Kardehi
in reply to: russellvee

Thanks for the propmt response 

Up to now the architects used to send me dwg and recieve dwg or send me Rvt and recieve Rvt...because I made a switch to Revit I prefer to avoid using AutoCAD and this architect has supplied me dwg files

I pretty much do the same.. and it looks perfect when I hand in my designs in pdf format

but what about when you export it to dwg for the architect? any down falls there?

Do architects actually need dwg files or a properly dimensioned pdf does the job for them?

Message 4 of 5
russellvee
in reply to: Mehdi.Kardehi

I don't typically have to deliver DWGs to the clients, but when I export to DWG it attaches the architectural background as a separate xref with all my layer control, which seems to work fine.

I think using a 2D background is crucial for plumbing drawings. On a multistory building I like the cut plane set below the floor level so I can show the sanitary piping, but I don't want to show architecture from the floor below. Maybe if they had separate MEP view depth and architecture view depth settings.

Message 5 of 5
Mehdi.Kardehi
in reply to: russellvee

Thanks for sharing your exp with me mate

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report