Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background & Foreground

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
%4seasons%
10797 Views, 11 Replies

Background & Foreground

How can I set my Xref (Link CAD) as background. When I click the xref, there is no option for me to set as background or foreground. Please see attached.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
pothied
in reply to: %4seasons%

If you select the xref, right click on it, select Basic Modify Tools -> Display Order then you have 4 options Bring to Front, Send to Back, Bring Above Object and Send Under Object. I will attach a screen capture of the right click menu.

David Pothier

Message 3 of 12
%4seasons%
in reply to: pothied

I am not sure if the attached screenshot was taken from Revit??? Not the same as I have.

Message 4 of 12
pothied

Sorry, my reply was for AutoCAD MEP. I'll let someone else answer this for Revit MEP.

David Pothier

Message 5 of 12
CoreyDaun

The Link is treated like a Model Element (as opposed to an Annotation) and as such, cannot be simply "sent to background". Under Properties, while the Link is selected, you'll see parameters for "Base Level" and "Base Offset". You'll have to adjust the elevation of the Link so that it displays 'on top of' the desired elements.

However, I do see that your attached images appears to be a Reflected Ceiling Plan, which means that the adjusting the position of the Link for this View may adversely affect the other Floor Plans, since the direction of View is reversed. If you can elaborate on your situation and describe your ultimate goal, perhaps we can find a better way.

Just ask if you have any questions!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 12
%4seasons%
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I tried to link the CAD file either while I am on floor or ceiling plan but still the same. It works on floor plan but not on ceiling plan. The only way the background set automatically to background is when I link the CAD file and tick the current view only. We are using ceiling plans to all of our projects.

Message 7 of 12
CoreyDaun

Right - the import behaves more like an annotation while employing the option "Current View Only", giving different options.

First of all, make sure that View is set to Visual Style: Hidden Line. Also, double-check the View's "Underlay Orientation" under Properties.

If you want the CAD link to appear on multiple Views you have to treat it like a model object. Say I have a Duct at 4'. On a Floor Plan, I would want to set the CAD Link's "Base Offset" to anywhere below that in order for it to appear in the background. Inversely, on a Ceiling Plan, the "Base Offset" must be set to anywhere above the duct. This creates a conflict between the two types of Views.

My proposed solution would be to create a separate instance of that CAD file dedicated to Ceiling Plans. This CAD file can be simple a blank DWG with the original CAD file Xref'd into it. Once these are both linked into Revit, you can set the "Base Offset" of each to accommodate their respective View Type (Floor Plan or Ceiling Plan).

You may need to create a means of controlling their visibility; something like a dedicated Workset for each (default off on one of them).

- OR -

You can create a Design Option and place them on separate options so only one will ever display. This method has a potential bonus benefit, because being a part of a Design Option will not allow a user to select it, unless he/she deactivates the "Exclude Options" checkbox in the bottom right corner.

(I hope I'm not flooding you with info!)

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 8 of 12
%4seasons%

Hi Corey many thanks for this.

Maybe another option is to link the CAD file on plan (with current view only untick) and hide it on the ceiling then link again the CAD file on ceiling (with current view only should now be tick this time).

Another item which really annoys me is the duct riser. It doesn't show as I expected (see attached). Maybe the reason is that you are looking the drawing as if you are inside the building.

Message 9 of 12
CoreyDaun

Yes, since the view direction is reversed on an RCP, all of the risers will be reversed as well. Is there are particular reason why your ductwork is being shown on a Ceiling Plan? Have you considered using a Floor Plan and setting an Underlay (found under the View's Properties) to show the ceilings?

Message 10 of 12
%4seasons%

I normally use ceiling plans as my background to all our drawings. Because of the riser issue, I would rather use now the Floor Plan to avoid seeing reversed duct/pipe risers.

Many thanks for the help Corey!

Message 11 of 12
Frank10072

I am having the same problem, on my ground view i was able to change the cad file to foreground allowing the arch model to come through behind it. This cad file was produced by the landscape arch drawings so it worked out well. But now i have to reproduce the drawing on an Area Plan in order to calculate apartment areas as well as colour coding the apartment types. However this time the CAD drawing doesn't offer the option of switching between background and foreground. I went back to my ground floor plan and that option has disappeared there too.... any ideas?

regards 

frank

Message 12 of 12
CoreyDaun
in reply to: Frank10072

Hi Frank, welcome to the Discussion Groups!

It sounds like the CAD file was Linked/Imported into the Area Plan without the option "Current View Only" selected. If it was the same CAD file, you were prompted with a message stating that another instance of that link will be created and you clicked "Yes". In my test (using Revit MEP 2013), this produced exactly the same results you're describing; the other instances of the CAD link set to "Current View Only" lost that property. There seems to be no way to revert this option back to the way it was, and I believe you'll have to remove all the instances of that linked CAD file and re-link them one-by-one. This issue seems to have a good potential for disaster, so I hope you don't have too many instances to redo!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report