Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying project template ..?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
althrash3
4917 Views, 5 Replies

Applying project template ..?

I'm new to revit and have my first real project now. In the office, we are synchronizing to a central file. I want to be able to apply my template to my project. How do I do this?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jrobker
in reply to: althrash3

Well you should've used your template to start the project in.

You can use Transfer Project Standards ex-post facto.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 3 of 6
althrash3

Yes. That's how I wanted to do it, I just could not figure out how. In AutoCad, I simply open my template file - insert my floorplan - and saveas to a new drawing. With Revit, I could not figure out how to insert the floor plan with out it being a link. So, I created a central file.

Like I said, I'm new to Revit and I'm trying to learn on my own. I'm sure I'm going about it all wrong.

I did try the Transfer Project Standards. It seemed to have brought in most of my stuff.

Message 4 of 6
Jrobker

When you start a new project in Revit it will ask you for a template file for use.

You can browse out your companies or in options, path the companies template as the default.

Once this file (template) is open you LINK the Architects model at origin to origin.

Copy/monitor their levels (from elevation view).

Create new floor plan views using the copy monitored levels you just copied.

With the Architects project still open (or re-open it), activate your project window and select Transfer Project Standards.

Transfer the Project Info and Viewport types.

Select the Architects Titleblock-->edit Family-->Load into your project.

At this point you have a floor plan you can place on a sheet that has the correct project information.

Now you just model (ya right, if it were just that easy).

Good luck.

P.s. a central file only enables multiple users access at the same time. It has nothing to do with templates or linking.

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 5 of 6
althrash3
in reply to: Jrobker

Thanks. That makes sense. I actually believe I can model better than I can prepare.

I do have one more question. I wanted to create the central file so I could draw plumbing while my co-worker could draws HVAC in the same drawing. Do I start the project with my template, link the Architects plan, and use this drawing as my central?

Message 6 of 6
Jrobker

Yep.

As soon as you add worksets it becomes a central file.

Save the central file than re-open it and create a local copy from it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report