Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annotation Symbol in Part Family will not print.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
dbillion
1797 Views, 12 Replies

Annotation Symbol in Part Family will not print.

Greetings,

Previously, we did not use an actual thermostat family; we just used a Generic Annotation Symbol (Letter "T" inside a circle) to represent the thermostat.

Recently, we were instructed that we should show the thermostat in section/3d views.  So, I created a family, and inserted the generic annotation symbol into it to be displayed in plan view, as before.

Now, I have a thermostat that, in plan view, displays the symbol.  In Section or 3D views, it displays the actual thermsotat geometry.  So far, so good.

The problem I'm encountering is when I try to print.  The symbol will not print.

Any ideas?  Is there a magic "Print Me" toggle somewhere that I have to click?

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dbillion

If you can see it, then it should print. Could you post an image of one of your Plan Views?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 13
dbillion
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I always thought if you saw it on the screen, you will see it on paper, too!

I was really scepticle when I was told these things aren't printing...  especially since the symbols printed fine before they were nested into the parts.

Attached is a screen shot.

I'm baffled...Thermostats Showing.png

Message 4 of 13
CoreyDaun

I can only recommend tinkering with the view range (if the thermostats lie on the edge) or try changing the Family Category of the thermostat to see if that helps.

If you receive no other input here, you should report the issue with Autodesk Feedback/Support.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 13

Could you post the family so I can have a look out of interest?

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 6 of 13
dbillion

File attached.

We've got it's category set to Security Device, so we can turn it off in certain views, while leaving it on in others.  Because the annotation symbol is nested in the part, it's visible in ALL plan views; not just the views in which they were inserted.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 13
CoreyDaun

I loaded the family into a project for testing, and it printed just fine. Is there anything else absent in your prints?

Message 8 of 13
c.era

You might try drawing the 'T' with symbolic lines in the family if you wan the 'T' to disappear in those views you turn off the security devices. Also, you may want to chick the 'shared' box in the generic annotation before loading it into the family.

Message 9 of 13
dbillion

The "T"'s (and the circles) do behave as expected/desired on the screen.  I can turn them off at will.

The problem lies in the printing (plotting).  They don't print!

I'll check the shared checkbox to see if that makes a difference.

I'm open to anything, right now...

Message 10 of 13
CoreyDaun

If you haven't already, create a separate, new project to test it. Try printing to paper and to pdf.

Message 11 of 13

I have also checked your family in a separate project and it seems to print fine. Either there is a problem with your project or there is an elemant which affects the visibility of the symbol in plan.

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 12 of 13
veronicadl

Hi,

I´m just having the same problem.

whn I see in Monitor, the annotation symbols are there, but when I try to print, there aren´t..

Does anybody knows that´s happening?

It doesn´t happen in all views, only in two of the entire project..

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 13
rrusso
in reply to: veronicadl

I'm having the same issue and it's had me stumpped. It still kind of does but I found the trigger (at least in my model). I have site lighting, everything looks good, everything plots. Because this is a site plan I want to drop a masking regon over the building envelope and show the site. Once I place the masking regon the symobles that are in families suddenly stop plotting. I can see them on my screen, but on on paper. Odd right? When I delete the masking reagon all of the symboles show up on paper again. I've placed and deleted the masking reagon 3 times and the result has been the same every time. Why that's the problem, I don't know.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report