Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding new Sub-disciplines in Project Browser

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
JacobJBB
44560 Views, 21 Replies

Adding new Sub-disciplines in Project Browser

Our firm has a seperate plumbing department who are hopping on to start modeling. However in Revit MEP, Plumbing is a sub-discipline to Mechanical. In our central file the Plumbing sub-tree has disappeared. How do I re-create one? I also need to create another sub-tree called "Fire Protection".

How do I create new discipline sub-trees in the project browser?? Thank you.
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
in reply to: JacobJBB

Go to Floor plan that you want to be as Plumbing sub-discipline.right click on that plan, select "view property".
under Graphic parameter, you may see Sub-Discipline, on the value of Sub-Descipline, simply type "Plumbing", then you create Plumbing Sub-Discipline.
same as Fire Protection.

then, in the project browser, it should appear automatically.
once you create new sub-discipline, you can select that
for other floor plans.

Good Luck! Message was edited by: dleo
Message 3 of 22
JacobJBB

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately those procedures don't work and that is why I'm having problems. I think I may have mistakenly erased the Plumbing sub-discipline and possibily screwed up my file.

To clarify, I am hoping there is a way to reinstate the plumbing sub-discipline. I think thats a better way to ask the question.
Message 4 of 22
KyleB_Autodesk

Hey Jacob,
Have you tried typing in your desired Sub-Discipline name in the View Properties dialog when you create or modify views? That's how you create Sub-Disciplines, pretty straightforward. See the attached image.

You also might have switched the Project Browser sorting method, which can be changed on the Options Bar when you select the Top-Level "Views" item in your Project Browser, I'll throw up an image on a subsequent post.

Hope that Helps,
Kyle B

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 22
KyleB_Autodesk

Project Browser sorting selection...

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 22
vewright

Great tips in this thread!

I do wonder, however, why the Revit team didn't consider having a right-click on an entry in the project browser bring up a context menu. Seems to me that it could work......
Message 7 of 22
vewright

It appears to me that Revit Architecture does not have the sub-displine field in the properties dialog box, although you can set the discipline.

If you create an architectural model in Revit Architecture, then open it in Revit MEP to add MEP systems, you still don't have a sub-discipline field.
Message 8 of 22
KyleB_Autodesk

That's because the Sub-Discipline Parameter is a Project Parameter that needs to be created.

I posted on this in the AUGI Forums. Check it out at http://forums.augi.com/showpost.php?p=804091&postcount=6.

Cheers,
Kyle B
Revit MEP Product Manager
http://inside-the-system.typepad.com

Kyle Bernhardt
Director
Building Design Strategy
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 22
vewright

Thanks for the tip--it solved a big mystery. I guess I will have to add AUGI to my list of resources to check when something isn't clear.

I usually check Revit help first, thinking that searching the help file should bring most issues to the surface. However, searching for sub-discipline or discipline does not provide a clue on this issue. Need I say more?
Message 10 of 22
akaymurat

hi all

to add a new sub-discipline you can follow under steps and attachment jpeg files

1-right click an existing floor plan name and from duplicate view select duplicate and copy a new file

2-you'll see Copy of 1- Mech

3-right click on the copy of 1- mech file and click properties

4-later you can write a name that you want a new sub- discipline name

and you can add more new sub discipline names start 1 to 4 steps

you must repeat all steps for a new sub discipline

i hope will be useful, Actually must be easy way but ihope Autodesk Find a better way like esaily right click and create a new sub-discipline

Murat AKAY

TOKAR A.Ş.

Turkey / Istanbul

Murat AKAY
Mechanical Draftsman
Hvac-Fire-Plumbing-Piping
Message 11 of 22
akaymurat

just i add step's 4 jpeg file

Murat AKAY
Mechanical Draftsman
Hvac-Fire-Plumbing-Piping
Message 12 of 22
hobbes29063
in reply to: akaymurat

Hello all,

I'm still not able to create a new sub category in the project browser.  I went to Kyle B link and looked at those screen shots but I do not have "sub-discipline" as an option.    Using R 2013.  Thanks to any and all for your help with is so far.1.jpg2.jpg

Time is on our side.
Message 13 of 22
CoreyDaun
in reply to: hobbes29063

If your Views do not have "Sub-Discipline" listed under Properties, then you probably need to add it to your Project. Go to Manage tab » Project Parameters, and click "Add..." in the following dialog. Enter the name, leave it as an Instance Parameter, change the "Type of Parameter:" to Text, change "Group Parameter Under:" to "Graphics", and select "Views" from the list of Categories on the right. Click 'OK'.

Now, at the top of your Project Browser, right-click on "Views" and select "Browser Organization...". You can either create a new Browser Organization for Sub-Discipline or modify and existing one to include Sub-Discipline under Grouping and Sorting. Refer to the link below for help.

Creating a Project Browser Sort Group

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 14 of 22
mrgalfield

If you are using template for a view, you need to go to that view, choose the view template and then you can change the name of the sub-discipline in the field. find attached for more clearance.

Message 15 of 22
phamhovuacmv
in reply to: mrgalfield

Hi, I am using revit MEP 2016, I did not find sub-discipline in project browser as you mentioned above. So could you please show me again how i can do in revit MEP 2016.

Thank you and much appreciated.

Message 16 of 22
CoreyDaun
in reply to: phamhovuacmv

If you used one of the default MEP Project Templates, then this Project Parameter should be present in your project. If not, you can recreate it in the Project Parameters dialog (Manage tab) by clicking "Add...", and then entering the desired information. By default, the "Sub-Discipline" Parameter's settings are:

Name: Sub-Discipline

Discipline: Common

Type of Parameter: Text

Group Parameter Under: Graphics

Set to <Instance> Parameter

Set to <Values are aligned by group type>

Categories: Views

Once (or if) this Project Parameter exist in a Project, you can follow the steps provided in previous posts to incorporate it into your Browser Settings.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 17 of 22
ja1357
in reply to: akaymurat

Hi I am working in Revit MEP 2015 I have always being able to create a new sub discipline for a new view but for some reason the option has disappeared (not greyed out actually disappeared).  Please don't say you right click on the view name an select properties because it just turns on/off the properties pallet from view.  I have no view templates assigned.

Message 18 of 22

Try re-reading. The "Template" referred to is not a View template, it is a Project template that is specified when you create a New project.
======================================================

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solved your issue.

Intel 7740x - Quadro 6000 - 32Gb RAM - CADmouse - Logitech G710
Message 19 of 22

Hi

I have solved this myself. I closed the project & reopened the project and the sub discipline property was available. 

Message 20 of 22

"Hello, IT Department - have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Well done anyway. Revit does like a Reboot if you are changing Big things. Personally, I've never seen a Revit file without the 'sub-discipline' field. Creating one manually is a good trick, but it shouldn't be needed often.

======================================================

Please select the Accept as Solution button if my post solved your issue.

Intel 7740x - Quadro 6000 - 32Gb RAM - CADmouse - Logitech G710

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report