Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A SImple Question on modeling drafting & the linked architectural file

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
JimMorel2946
558 Views, 7 Replies

A SImple Question on modeling drafting & the linked architectural file

I am a realtively new user &  enjoy using Revit MEP 2012 for design.  My question is:   Is there any way of locking or "freezing" the architectural Revit link file in my MEP Revit  file so it can never be selected , highlighted etc .as I model & manipulate my piping.

I model extensive plumbing piping in the architectural linked file background & have a hard time not also selecting the architectural background.   I do use the filter which helps greatly but it can be tedious & extra steps involved.

There must be a better way that I haven't discovered yet  !  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Morel

JMC

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

You could use design options and place the link on a different design option to the piping

If my reply answers your query, please use the Accept as Solution.
Please give Kudos as appropriate to enhance the value of these forums.

Thank you!
Message 3 of 8

This would be something very nice!! I can't recall how many times I am trying to tag a duct & it wants to keep tagging the ceiling. I then have to shut off the link, something simple but another step that should be avoided.It is nice to pin the Links but it would be great if they could stay in the background. I thought this was REVIT MEP not Arch. Sorry to go on a rant on your post.

Message 4 of 8

Thank you very very much.  It works. 

It may seem a small thing but it is a huge help in our MEP drafting/modeling.  I've read the Design Option several times & really don't understand it's full potential at all  but after several tries implementing it is simple like you say.

Set up a new design option.

Go back to model.

Select architect model(or any other link or item)

Then go to the Add Set button & seletc/add architect model to the new design option just created

In the main model  having the exclude button checked makes the architect model just a background ( not selectable ).  Huge help in MEP modeling.

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 8
Jrobker
in reply to: JimMorel2946

This has been a wish wishlist item of mine for years. it's locked. I shouldn't be able to do anything period...it's locked. Really we what does locked mean.
"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Message 6 of 8
WheelerCJ
in reply to: JimMorel2946

Where is this design option you talk about?

Message 7 of 8
CarrieHoffman02
in reply to: WheelerCJ

Design options is under the manage tab, next to project location.

Message 8 of 8
Jrobker
in reply to: CarrieHoffman02

The only issue with the design option way is loss of functionality with grids ( if you copy monitor).

"It's hardware that makes a machine fast. It's software that makes a fast machine slow."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report