Did you mean: 

String operations needed

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
wim
Contributor
2482 Views, 9 Replies

String operations needed

We need string operations in the calculated values for schedules. I would like to concatenate a number of string parameters into one.
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: wim

I would like to emphasize this again. String operations would be tremendously useful, most notably the Concatenate function (combining strings). I have a convoluted and complicated solution to automated catalog numbers based on checkbox options. Having the Concatenate ability would make a huge headache go away.

I would agree if one would say that you could get by without it, but I try to take advantage of every automation feature Revit has to offer and bend it to my will. Mwa ha ha. Anyway, a seemingly simply function such as this one would have a big and positive impact of our use and our potentially continuing use of Revit.

Thank you

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Due to the limitation of NOT BEING ABLE TO CONCATENATE text strings, I have ultimately created a monster. The attached .pdf file is a SINGLE FORMULA that defines a text parameter. No need to comment on it being severe, merciless, and unquestionable overkill - I'm well aware. I'm just aiming to use this ridiculous example to emphasize the importance of the CONCATENATE function to us...

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 4 of 10
dennis

CAD, that is really really ugly

Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 10
CoreyDaun
in reply to: dennis

Truly, *BUT* through a couple of these insane formulas, our Lighting Fixture Schedules are compiled perfectly based on checkbox Type Parameters, and without user error (aside from design error). It may seem very nonsensical, but I wrote an Excel code to compile the Revit code to make the process somewhat feasible.

This would be a piece of cake if we could use CONCATENATE, CHOOSE, SUBSTITUTE, etc., etc.....

I have no delusions and I do not deny that this is incredibly ridiculous!

Message 6 of 10
asommer

That looks like my brain function while attempting to do sloping waste piping!

Message 7 of 10
plawton5092

Dang, I think I pulled an eyeball muscle just looking at that ... you are probably permitted to go out on disability for a few weeks, after writing that one.

Of course, this is the area of the autodesk web site where we the users are studiously ignored by the company's employees - I've seen them do it, they come by here and professionally avert their eyes for the whole visit.  New employees are required to stop in to the Wishlist site practice their "ignore the users" skills every day, until they can ignore users over a full weekend without any supervisor assistance.

My wish is that I were joking about this ....

Message 8 of 10
sejohnsonphd45
in reply to: wim

I'd like to add my name to the chorus of voices begging for this feature.  With the majority of products, catalog numbers are a concatenation of several letter/numbers representing different options.  So if a product comes in 5 different heights, 4 different widths, 3 different depths, 2 different voltages, 12 different body colors, 8 different trim colors, 6 different handle types, 5 different choices of which module to place in it, and 3 different mounting bracket styles, you need 5x4x3x2x12x8x6x5x3=1,036,800 different catalog numbers, requiring 1,036,800 different types.  Rather than listing them all exhaustively in an 18,851-page csv file, WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO CONCATENATE STRINGS!

Message 9 of 10

Count me in on this chorus too.

Oh and it would be great to add the "contains" logical feature that's already built into the view filters.

Message 10 of 10
adam.jw
in reply to: ArynBergman

You are supoer cool because you spent the time to make that. And it's been a dream of mine as well. But I can't say I'm as motivated to write something to do that in Excel or write it manually in Revit formula.

Impressive. But. Wow.

Yes.... how often is this requested? It would make Revit family building go from "That's pretty neat you can do that" to --- holy crap this program is amazing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report