Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlay or Trace Views

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
norcaljess
2481 Views, 1 Reply

Overlay or Trace Views

My boss used to use "another" BIM software.  He said he was able to do this "Trace" function where he was able to overlay one view over another, like "tracing paper" and you could peel it back just as you would in real life.  Can Revit "Overlay" MEP views on Framing or Architectural views, and vice-versa so that you can't accidentally move an object that belongs to another trade?  I don't think this is possible in Revit, since Revit has the habit of associating items with each other, sometimes even if you don't want them to be or don't think they would be associated.  Is this something Autodesk can look into?

Thanks,
Jessica

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
CoreyDaun
in reply to: norcaljess

Well, I don't think there's a direct way, but there is kinda a way to do that, but it would only work if you work through Active Viewports on a Sheet View (almost all of us here work like that). What you do, is create a View that hides the framing, etc. that you want as an underlay. Then, duplicate that View and show ONLY those underlay elements. On the Sheet View, Place both of them in the same place, right on top of each other (the should line up very easily). Select the underlay View and hit 'EH' to hide the element. Now, the title disappears and the View is unselectable until it is unhidden, so it can't be activated or worked on accidentally. And yes, the elements of the Hidden View do plot. Hope this helps!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report