Matt Dillon
Autodesk Architectural Desktop Certified Expert

View my ADT Blog "Breaking Down the Walls" at
http://www.modocrmadt.blogspot.com
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
kmenk
in reply to: Anonymous

I totally agree. At my firm we prefer to show wire size in the panel schedules. So I am currently having to create Panel Schedules outside of REVIT.
Message 3 of 18
jfosteriii

I agree, the Revit provided panel schedule leaves a lot to be desired. Custom schedules that can match a company's existing standard panel schedule in function and appearance would be nice. Better yet, if Revit could simply import and export a live link to an Excel spreadsheet...
Message 4 of 18
Jarom05

Me too. I would like to see this as well. revit does so many things well and then other thins are crap. Can't Autodesk bring revit up to AutoCAD's standard, or are they leaving it crappy for the user's that used Revit before Autodesk bought the program. If Autodesk wants to get more AutoCAD users to get in on the program they really need to make it similar to AutoCAD so that the learning cure is not so big. Who cares about oldschool users.
Message 5 of 18
joseph.hower

That's funny!

MEP users complain constantly about how bad it is and that it won't perform some of the most basic functions of our industry like linking panelboards together, and you want Revit brought "up" to that standard.

Be happy and hope that they don't do that.
Message 6 of 18
sschwartz

Jarom05 - I understand your frustration. I do not agree with the attitude, nor the delivery. I look forward to see what kind of solution to the current panelboard schedule crisis that Autodesk brings us.

By the way, IMHO the "oldschool users" are usually the ones who write out the paychecks. Let's hope your oldschool user doesn't read this discussion group.

Just sounding off... even though this particular discussion group IS supposed to be a wish list group. Sorry, couldn't help myself. 😛

Message was edited by: sschwartz Message was edited by: sschwartz
Message 7 of 18
sschwartz

I think the simple fact that right now you can only fit 2 panelboard schedules on a sheet at their current width is ridiculous. I have worked on non revit projects that have had over 100 new lighting and receptacle panels (not taking into consideration a distribution panel). At the current rate of 2 (or even 3 to 4) to a sheet this would create in upwards of 50 new sheets!

I think consideration should be taken to their actual use, as they would (in theory) be used on a sheet, how many can be put on a sheet? Lineweights/widths are more of a user preference thing, but perhaps an overall width setting to start would be a much better approach.
Message 8 of 18
Jarom05

The panelbaords are so far off that I think that it really need to be taken care of. Again, Autodesk totally dropped the ball. Revit MEP was a premature release. Obviously they didn't even give a beta version to Electrical engineers. Probly so they could trick everyone into giving them thousands ofo dollars. Is't the bait ans switch illegal? isn't it fraud to advertise one thing and provide another?
Message 9 of 18
redcarsrule

The panelboard schedule feature is entirely unusable. The schedule needs to be completely customizable for what information displays in each column, include circuit breaker icons if desired, etc. Need to be able to include additional information on the header, ie: 200% neutral, isolated grond, TVSS, etc. I prefer my panelboard schedules to have an appearance somewhat similar to what we would receive in a shop drawing submittal. This makes shop drawing review mush easier. I can do it in Excel, and perform all of the NEC demand load calculations automatically. Revit needs to be able to do this, it can't be that hard...
Message 10 of 18
simon.whitbread

There's no doubt Revit MEP need LOTS of work, but as for:

...isn't it fraud to advertise one thing and provide another?

I don't think I have ever been misled Edited by: simon.whitbread on Jul 31, 2009 11:25 AM
Message 11 of 18
gblondeaux

I have found a way to add columns for wire and conduit size in the panel schedules by going into Visual C# and editing the code around. you can also rearrange the columns a bit. I have not been able to get the new wire and conduit columns to 'auto populate' as of yet. I am confident that it is possible, I just do not have enough working knowledge of Visual C#. If anyone could help that would be awesome.
Thanks
Message 12 of 18
eklemme

Yes there are many things that we need from the Panel Schedules. However, you can add a simple family header with the information you need in it. This Header can give you the alignment locations for your Panel Schedule then you can add a footer with the final calculations in it.
I agree we need more but there are some great ways to work around the issue until Autodesk gets it fixed.
Message 13 of 18
Jarom05

Well it has been 21 months and the only improvement Autodesk has made to the panelboard is that they no longer rebalance when you save to central. 21 months and they still can't come up with a way to put a panelboard template in that would set all the panelboars with you offices standard of text font and size and schedule size. You realize how much time is wasted on adjusting the properties and size on a hundred panels? A lot.
Message 14 of 18
chriswade

Actually, we can't seem to add the information that we need to the panel schedules (work around or not).
Message 15 of 18
chriswade

I have just started to compile a list of problems we are having and have 9 pages in word so far. I am going to have a few people review it and let us know if some of the things are just items that we don't know how to do, if so, then we can get them off the list, but a lot of them I already know will stay. By the way, this has taken me less than two hours to compile this list, I am still working on it though.

I really do want to find things that we just don't know on there, as I think the concept of BIM is a good one, but at this point I have to say that it's implementation in Revit MEP is poor, possibly even fraudulent, but I need to determine how much of my list is legitimate problems and how much of it is us just not knowing everything about the program yet.

As for being misled, I was told that we should be able to EASILY make a complete set of working drawings using Revit MEP.

I would say that was misleading, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible to make site plans, symbols legends, plumbing riser diagrams, electrical single line diagrams, notes for cover sheets. All of these items are required for a set of construction drawings as they are required for plan check in most cases. I know I have used these examples a lot, but that's because it never gets fixed. Edited by: chriswade on Sep 22, 2009 9:00 PM
Message 16 of 18
chriswade

Actually, we have tables in AutoCAD that does the work quite nicely (doesn't even need AutoCAD MEP or LISP anymore, just formulas), so I think it should at least be brought up to that level. Edited by: chriswade on Sep 22, 2009 9:20 PM
Message 17 of 18
simon.whitbread

As for being misled, I was told that we should be able to EASILY make a complete set of working drawings using Revit MEP

Chris - that depends on your definition of "easy" AND how much planning and setup you did PRIOR to starting the project.

If all you have done is install the software, and now expect it to do everything you ever did in AutoCAD and more - You WILL be unhappy.

If, on the other hand, you have planned your implementation, created your libraries, templates, lineweights, done the training etc then yes, it is easy(er).

There are things that have to be "worked around" and "developed", just like any piece of software. AutoCAD didn't do it all for you. You had to develop your libraries, standards, lisp - I don't see this being any different.

If you spent as much time developing instead of moaning, (I'd LOVE to see you 9pages of word - in under 2 hours), maybe you would be further on than you are.

Sure, there is heaps that does need improvement. Thats not going to happen overnight. So do what you can, with the tools that you have - even if it means programming an alternative. It's what we have all been doing for the past 20+ years in AutoCAD because THAT software didn't do what was required.
Message 18 of 18
pothied

I'm pleased to say that Revit MEP 2011 now includes CUSTOMIZABLE PANEL SCHEDULES! See the videos below for a quick overview of this new functionality.

Autodesk Revit MEP 2011 - Panel Schedule Instances
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ_jz8dlmGQ

Autodesk Revit MEP 2011 - Panel Schedule Templates
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaCi1YH0-g8

David Pothier

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report