Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectors on nested families

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
embolisim
3217 Views, 8 Replies

Connectors on nested families

This has been a problem for a long time, but doesn't get much airing on here.

Can connectors still be available please when they are on a nested family.

The specific example I came across today is Air Handling Units. Generally they are modular design and you order the combination & configuration (horizontal, vertical, L shaped...) of modules that meets your application. So I want to model each module separately, then nest the modules into an AHU family on a project by project basis.

Then I'll be able to scheule it by unit & also schedule the modules.

I can't put connectors on the modules though, so theres little point.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CoreyDaun
in reply to: embolisim

I would like to reiterate this statement. This limitation has caused us a bit of grief and has basically nullified many schemes and methods of organization and efficiency, such as embolism's previous situation. As an example speculation method:

Our projects, like most others, often contain many different lighting fixtures (model, lamps, ballasts, etc.). We have had to reconfigure the entire scheme several times (i.e. change all 32WT8 lamps to 28WT8, or change the Ballast Factor, etc.). Our idea was to create an embedded shared family for the ballasts. That way, the voltage, load, etc. can be changed on a global level via a ballast schedule. We would be doing this, could one connect to a nested connector.

As an alternate to forcing Revit to search all nested families for all connectors, there could be a "Bridge Connector" command in the Family Creator that effectively acts as a Copy/Monitor for a nested family's connector. You would activate the command and then select the desired connector by selecting the nested family and choosing one from there. It will then create a connector in the exact location as the chosen one, which will read the embedded data only.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 9
adam.jw

This would solve a lot of my problems. Track lighting. With nested fixture heads that had connectors.

I could then make the track itself a "panel" and then connect the track back to the main panel/controller.

I have developed a limited method of transferring data from a Nested Shared Family to a Host Family's Connector, and I'm posting it here for the remote chance that it may be useful to someone, somewhere...

In the Nested Shared Family, create Length Parameters that correspond to each Parameter that drives the Connector along with a logical formula to convert it to a Length. These Parameters must be Instance Parameters. For example, for a "Voltage" parameter of an electrical family, create a Length Parameter named "VoltageL" and apply the formula: = (Voltage / 1V) * 1/64".

Create a Symbolic Line, assign it to <Invisible Lines>, and tie its length to the new Length Parameter. When placing a linear dimension, you can choose the endpoint of the line via the Tab key.

In the host Family, recreate this dimension base upon that same Symbolic Line embedded within the Nested Family and tie it to an identically named Parameter. This parameter will change based upon the value within the Nested Family. Create a Formula to translate the data back into the proper units. For example: For a "Voltage" Parameter, the formula would be: = (VoltageL / 1/64") * 1V.

The Families Connector can now be driven by this Parameter, and in essence, by the Nested Family.

This is limited, but it does enable the creation of a few intelligent, modular families. Attached is an example of a electrical family, which is not a real device. (RMEP 2012)

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 5 of 9
Sandleaz

Another way of doing what your post says is to skip the nested families entirely and just create an assembly.  I am assuming that is what that feature is for.  You can assemble the AHU from the different modules you created seperately and do whatever you want with it.  You can connect ducts and pipes to the modules prior to creating the assembly.  You can schedule the modules separately and if you want an AHU schedule, just create something for it, add it into the assembly, and schedule as you would any other module.  You can schedule assemblies as well and put in shared or project parameters into them. 

Message 6 of 9
NickACrane
in reply to: Sandleaz

It would also be good if you could connect across a linked model !!

Message 7 of 9
Sandleaz
in reply to: NickACrane

It would also be good if you could connect across a linked model !!

All good except if the family changes or is moved around in such a way that whatever you're connecting to the linked file becomes "invalid" and REVIT decides to do strange things to your connected items or deleting them altogether.   

Here's an example ("X" = family in linked file and "-" "|" is piping, valves, etc in your file... connected to "X" in another file)

-----------------------------

|

XXXXXX                     |

XXXXXX-----------------|

XXXXXX

then someone moves the family "X" over in the linked file...

-----------------------------

|

XXXXXX  |

XXXXXX  |

XXXXXX

... so what happens to your piping?

It's easy when there's one user controlling both files (user disconnects piping from "X" before moving) but requires a bit more coordination if there are multiple users.

Message 8 of 9
adam.jw
in reply to: Sandleaz

This really wouldn't effect Electrical Connectors fortunately. But you're right. That would mess up piping/ductowrk between models.

Contributor

could be an interesting feature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums