Revit MEP Wishes (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Electrical Bus Duct family would be nice...

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
CoopDYNA
6003 Views, 8 Replies

An Electrical Bus Duct family would be nice...

We finally have decent families for Conduit and Cable tray so we do not have to use Mechanical Pipe and Duct so when will we see Bus Duct with electrical properties?  We are forced to use cable tray to depict Busway...

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
smbrennan
in reply to: CoopDYNA

"What's Bus Duct"

~Autodesk

(I'm not from Autodesk, just sarcasm here ... I too am tired of trying to fudge work)

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 3 of 9
alan.skipper
in reply to: smbrennan

If Autodesk really did work with electrical engineers, as they say they do, then they would know what "bus duct" or "bus bar" as we call it in the UK, was.

I don't think Autodesk know that electrical engineers exist.

Message 4 of 9
smbrennan
in reply to: CoopDYNA

They say they do. What they really do is invite people who they think are power users, solely based on their forum activity. Granted, these people are knowledgeable, but they don't represent every industry. I'm currently in this group, and I can tell you that there is only a small list of users, and I'm basically the only one from electrical. Not to mention, they are prioritizing updates to software based on user feedback. This comes back around in full circle because there's not enough people to speak up on behalf of the electrical side and hold enough weight to get Autodesk to do something.

There's a TERRIBLE disconnect between the programmers/designers of the software and the end users. I hear Pro-E is looking into AEC/BIM products now ...

Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 5 of 9
CoreyDaun

This is why I've got a list of issues containing well over 200 specific items (attached is a tiny portion), a few of which I've posted about in this forum already. Once such is the inability to create a simple 3-way switch, which is quite simple and very common.

However, I eventually realized that posted here is no good - you'll get no direct response from Autodesk. My belief is that this forum was intended to be a place for users to merely discuss Wish List ideas amongst themselves, not to be a place to report issues straight to Autodesk (though, I could be mistaken). I would recommend heading over to AUGI.com and contributing to their Wish List to get more pull for the Electrical portion of Revit.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 6 of 9
smbrennan
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Corey, I agree with you 100%. I've actually submitted a couple of wishes. My latest one is for Revit to more intelligently support 3-phase systems when it comes to multi-circuit wires. I think it needs to be ranked prior to entering the voting option. Spread the word to rank and wish it please.
Shawn B.

||    
Message 7 of 9
alan.skipper

smbrnnan85

Are you telling me that Revit MEP does not support a three phase circuit?????

If this is true; then Revit MEP truly is not fit for purpose.

Skipper

Message 8 of 9
smbrennan
in reply to: alan.skipper

It does support 3-phase circuits and systems. As I said in my previous post, when it comes to a multi-circuit wire, it doesn't know how to handle it. For example, if you have a conduit with (6) circuits, say 1,3,5 & 7,9,11, it doesn't represent the wires correctly. Your options are either 1 ground, 1 neutral and 1 6 hots, or 6 grounds, 6 neutrals, and 6 hots. It doesn't understand shared neutrals across 3 phases.
Shawn B.

||    
Message 9 of 9
smbrennan
in reply to: alan.skipper

Look at this thread that I was part of.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-MEP/Multi-Circuit-Wire-Tick-Marks/td-p/2316367

Shawn B.

||    

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report