Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the project base point ?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
rlabib
3127 Views, 8 Replies

what is the project base point ?

I'm in the process of creating a new template and I found this post which is very helpful

http://www.revitforum.org/tutorials-tips-tricks/1004-building-revit-template.html

number 2 in the post it says the following

"2. In the template, Find the origin. It may seem silly now, but when you realize it isn’t where you thought later, you’ll me bad. In the old days it meant imported a CLEAN .dwg with nothing but an X drawn at 0,0,0 Origin to Origin, marking that spot with reference planes, and pinning it. Now, you can turn on the Project Base Point / Survey point, and mark THAT with reference planes. My advice? Name them Origin N/S and Origin E/W, pin them, and call it a day. THEN, open your first blank TITLEBLOCK, and do the CAD trick, import the dwg OTO, and mark that with reference planes. Pin. Save as “1st titleblock” and close. (It WILL matter later)."

OK here is my question:

what is the project base point , and where can I find it?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
ccollins
in reply to: rlabib

The Project Base Point is the point where Revit's Origin is located.

You can turn it on in VG>Model Categories>Site>Project Base Point.

Do a search on Shared Coordinates in this and other Revit forums, and the Wiki Help.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 9
rlabib
in reply to: ccollins

Cliff,

Thanks again , I'll be posting a lot of questions because I'm building my first template. 

Message 4 of 9
ccollins

Check out this post:

http://www.revitforum.org/tutorials-tips-tricks/1004-building-revit-template.html#post9779

Good luck!

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 5 of 9
Alfredo_Medina

@ccollins wrote:

The Project Base Point is the point where Revit's Origin is located.

I disagree with that definition. Suppose that you select the project base point, unclip it, and move it away from the original location. Now the project base point is at one place, and Revit's Origin is at a different place, and if now you insert a link by Origin to Origin, the link's origin will be exactly where the project base point was, the original, default location, not where it is now. Therefore, the project base point cannot be defined as the point where Revit's origin is located.

I would define it as a point of reference for the project, which marks the origin of the building's coordinate system. The Revit file has 3 coordinate systems, one for the building, one for the site, and one "internal" (the actual origin of the Revit file). At the beginning, all three systems are aligned and have their origins at the same place. If the project base point is moved (clipped), the building moves on the screen, and the internal origin moves along because it is clipped. But if the project base point is unclipped and relocated, now the project base point is at one location, and the internal Revit's origin is at a different location.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 9
ccollins

Alf,

I agree. I should have said "By Default" the PBB is at the "origin".

Your explanantion is correct. ( as ususal!) Smiley Happy

I was just trying to give a new user a simple point of reference.

Cliff B. Collins
St. Louis, MO
Message 7 of 9
Alfredo_Medina

@ccollins wrote:

Alf,

I agree. I should have said "By Default" the PBB is at the "origin".

That's correct. Thanks for clarifying. 🙂

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 9
becmez
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Could one of you explain whether the following situation can be fixed easily?  

A project was started in Revit without any attention paid to the project base point.  The whole building is modeled and some documentation has begun.  The project consultants will be collaborating in Revit but we haven't shared the model yet.  In preperation for that, we found that our "Project North" should have been rotated but it breaks too much to do that now.  We also found that the "Project Base Point" and the "Survey Point" are in the middle of the building floor plate and we want it to be on an intersection of the property line.  Is it going to mess anything up to move it now?  Or should we just leave it?

I haven't been able to find anything on the other forums that address this situation exactly.  

Message 9 of 9
Alfredo_Medina

If you don't move those points from their default location, every party in the team can use "origin to orgin" all the time, as the method of insertion for links, and everything will be at peace in Revitland.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report