Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the case of the moving structural walls

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
280 Views, 4 Replies

the case of the moving structural walls

Ok, there must be a way of creating/locking walls that do not move. I have some cast-in-place structural walls that must be a given length (image 1) So I set the wall length to what I need, lock that dimension from the grid line (image 1). At the end of this wall, there are several very specific conditions that need to occur. 1)There is a shaft wall that passes between the ends of the two concrete walls (to the north of the elevator) the stud portion of this shaft wall is represented by the grey bar and is aligned to the end of the walls and locked. 2)The actual sheet rock I will add with a separate wall type that is simply 2 layers of GWB but it should obviously attach to the north side of the studs (grey bar) and wrap over the end of the concrete wall. With all the constraints set, I cannot move the concrete wall, but when I drag studs to meet the end of the concrete wall or drag the GWB over the end of the concrete wall, Revit will stretch the concrete wall.does this make any sense? Is there a way to stop this from happening? Am I missing something somewhere? Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You can easily create walls that do not move, but walls that do not join (which is what you need), is a bit trickier. A few ways to tackle your problem. (in order of best solution to worst) 1. Let revit join the walls, then modify the joins, using the edit wall join tool. 2. Let revit join the wall then unjoin them by selecting "do not clean" from the drop down in the wall join edit tool. 3. Use the edit cut profile tool to manually clean up the join. 4. Draft over the are with the drafting tools 5. If all else fails, try making and inplace wall family for the concrete shaft walls. Better control over joining hth, Z. clarkitekt wrote: > Ok, there must be a way of creating/locking walls that do not move. I have > some cast-in-place structural walls that must be a given length (image 1) So > I set the wall length to what I need, lock that dimension from the grid line > (image 1). At the end of this wall, there are several very specific > conditions that need to occur. 1)There is a shaft wall that passes between > the ends of the two concrete walls (to the north of the elevator) the stud > portion of this shaft wall is represented by the grey bar and is aligned to > the end of the walls and locked. 2)The actual sheet rock I will add with a > separate wall type that is simply 2 layers of GWB but it should obviously > attach to the north side of the studs (grey bar) and wrap over the end of > the concrete wall. > > With all the constraints set, I cannot move the concrete wall, but when I > drag studs to meet the end of the concrete wall or drag the GWB over the end > of the concrete wall, Revit will stretch the concrete wall.does this make > any sense? Is there a way to stop this from happening? > > Am I missing something somewhere? > > Thanks > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Christopher, First, thanks for running the great forum for so long. We can only hope that it's new home will be as well as the old. Thanks for the suggestions. All seem like plausible solutions. What I actually wound up doing was to create an in place structural column that fit my required shape and joined it to the floor above. Not quite as slick as using a wall since I can't tell it to start at level x and extend to level y but works pretty ok. Am I the only one who would like the option to set walls, floors, and other elements such that they will not join, or otherwise move in ANY way? Thanks Brad "Christopher Zoog" wrote in message news:40b716cf$1_3@newsprd01... > You can easily create walls that do not move, but walls that do not join > (which is what you need), is a bit trickier. > > A few ways to tackle your problem. (in order of best solution to worst) > > 1. Let revit join the walls, then modify the joins, using the edit wall > join tool. > > 2. Let revit join the wall then unjoin them by selecting "do not clean" > from the drop down in the wall join edit tool. > > 3. Use the edit cut profile tool to manually clean up the join. > > 4. Draft over the are with the drafting tools > > 5. If all else fails, try making and inplace wall family for the > concrete shaft walls. Better control over joining > > hth, > > Z. > > clarkitekt wrote: > > > Ok, there must be a way of creating/locking walls that do not move. I have > > some cast-in-place structural walls that must be a given length (image 1) So > > I set the wall length to what I need, lock that dimension from the grid line > > (image 1). At the end of this wall, there are several very specific > > conditions that need to occur. 1)There is a shaft wall that passes between > > the ends of the two concrete walls (to the north of the elevator) the stud > > portion of this shaft wall is represented by the grey bar and is aligned to > > the end of the walls and locked. 2)The actual sheet rock I will add with a > > separate wall type that is simply 2 layers of GWB but it should obviously > > attach to the north side of the studs (grey bar) and wrap over the end of > > the concrete wall. > > > > With all the constraints set, I cannot move the concrete wall, but when I > > drag studs to meet the end of the concrete wall or drag the GWB over the end > > of the concrete wall, Revit will stretch the concrete wall.does this make > > any sense? Is there a way to stop this from happening? > > > > Am I missing something somewhere? > > > > Thanks > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Nice! That works too. And no, you are not the only one who wants more control over the way walls join or do not join. Z. "clarkitekt" wrote in message news:40b74c13$1_2@newsprd01... > Christopher, > > First, thanks for running the great forum for so long. We can only hope that > it's new home will be as well as the old. > > Thanks for the suggestions. All seem like plausible solutions. What I > actually wound up doing was to create an in place structural column that fit > my required shape and joined it to the floor above. Not quite as slick as > using a wall since I can't tell it to start at level x and extend to level y > but works pretty ok. > > Am I the only one who would like the option to set walls, floors, and other > elements such that they will not join, or otherwise move in ANY way? > > > > Thanks > > Brad > > > > > "Christopher Zoog" wrote in message > news:40b716cf$1_3@newsprd01... > > You can easily create walls that do not move, but walls that do not join > > (which is what you need), is a bit trickier. > > > > A few ways to tackle your problem. (in order of best solution to worst) > > > > 1. Let revit join the walls, then modify the joins, using the edit wall > > join tool. > > > > 2. Let revit join the wall then unjoin them by selecting "do not clean" > > from the drop down in the wall join edit tool. > > > > 3. Use the edit cut profile tool to manually clean up the join. > > > > 4. Draft over the are with the drafting tools > > > > 5. If all else fails, try making and inplace wall family for the > > concrete shaft walls. Better control over joining > > > > hth, > > > > Z. > > > > clarkitekt wrote: > > > > > Ok, there must be a way of creating/locking walls that do not move. I > have > > > some cast-in-place structural walls that must be a given length (image > 1) So > > > I set the wall length to what I need, lock that dimension from the grid > line > > > (image 1). At the end of this wall, there are several very specific > > > conditions that need to occur. 1)There is a shaft wall that passes > between > > > the ends of the two concrete walls (to the north of the elevator) the > stud > > > portion of this shaft wall is represented by the grey bar and is aligned > to > > > the end of the walls and locked. 2)The actual sheet rock I will add with > a > > > separate wall type that is simply 2 layers of GWB but it should > obviously > > > attach to the north side of the studs (grey bar) and wrap over the end > of > > > the concrete wall. > > > > > > With all the constraints set, I cannot move the concrete wall, but when > I > > > drag studs to meet the end of the concrete wall or drag the GWB over the > end > > > of the concrete wall, Revit will stretch the concrete wall.does this > make > > > any sense? Is there a way to stop this from happening? > > > > > > Am I missing something somewhere? > > > > > > Thanks > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

You can also use the Edit Wall Joins button to keep a wall end from joining to other walls. This will get you what you want, I think. Make sure the wall is unjoined from other walls first then activate the Edit Wall Joins tool and select the wall end. Notice there is an option in the option bar to prevent this end from joining any more. matt jezyk autodesk revit "Christopher Zoog" wrote in message news:40b716cf$1_3@newsprd01... > You can easily create walls that do not move, but walls that do not join > (which is what you need), is a bit trickier. > > A few ways to tackle your problem. (in order of best solution to worst) > > 1. Let revit join the walls, then modify the joins, using the edit wall > join tool. > > 2. Let revit join the wall then unjoin them by selecting "do not clean" > from the drop down in the wall join edit tool. > > 3. Use the edit cut profile tool to manually clean up the join. > > 4. Draft over the are with the drafting tools > > 5. If all else fails, try making and inplace wall family for the > concrete shaft walls. Better control over joining > > hth, > > Z. > > clarkitekt wrote: > > > Ok, there must be a way of creating/locking walls that do not move. I have > > some cast-in-place structural walls that must be a given length (image 1) So > > I set the wall length to what I need, lock that dimension from the grid line > > (image 1). At the end of this wall, there are several very specific > > conditions that need to occur. 1)There is a shaft wall that passes between > > the ends of the two concrete walls (to the north of the elevator) the stud > > portion of this shaft wall is represented by the grey bar and is aligned to > > the end of the walls and locked. 2)The actual sheet rock I will add with a > > separate wall type that is simply 2 layers of GWB but it should obviously > > attach to the north side of the studs (grey bar) and wrap over the end of > > the concrete wall. > > > > With all the constraints set, I cannot move the concrete wall, but when I > > drag studs to meet the end of the concrete wall or drag the GWB over the end > > of the concrete wall, Revit will stretch the concrete wall.does this make > > any sense? Is there a way to stop this from happening? > > > > Am I missing something somewhere? > > > > Thanks > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report