Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roof from plan

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
343 Views, 6 Replies

roof from plan

Does anyone know how to modify the location of the roof peak when using the "from plan" roof options (if this is even possible)? What I have is an asymetrical roof in which I know the general peak height and have an exact location in plan where the peak needs to happen. The plan option works best as I have a lot of ins and outs along the length of the roof (I could do it from the section but it would be much more difficult). Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Go to your 3D view. Place your mouse at the peak you wish to change. Tap your TAB key until the peak highlights. Now you should be able to pull the peak up and down.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

Thanks for the advise. This will work for getting an exact height for the peak (which we do need) but I also need to adjust where in plan that peak happens. i.e.. the peak isn't exactly at the centerline of the roof, it is exactly 15' from the centerline of the roof (again in plan). I have tried to create two separate panels and then join them, but the current parameters don't allow me to give the panels an exact height at which they will meet up so in section they wind up being 3 inches or so off at the peak (rounding inaccuracies compound over the run of the roof make this somewhat impossible). Thanks for your input! "priority" wrote in message news:9814821.1076222007643.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2... > Go to your 3D view. Place your mouse at the peak you wish to change. Tap your TAB key until the peak highlights. Now you should be able to pull the peak up and down.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Just a guess here: when sketching a roof, the Ridge is automatically created in the center (midpoint between two slope defining lines)... The quickest way I can think of to offset the ridge is to adjust the plate height on one side... To accomplish this... Edit the Roof Sketch, and on ONE slope defining line, modify the plate offset from base parameter as needed. I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking for... Could you post a couple images to clarify? -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "clarkitekt" wrote in message news:4027dde5$1_1@newsprd01... > Thanks for the advise. This will work for getting an exact height for the > peak (which we do need) but I also need to adjust where in plan that peak > happens. i.e.. the peak isn't exactly at the centerline of the roof, it is > exactly 15' from the centerline of the roof (again in plan). I have tried to > create two separate panels and then join them, but the current parameters > don't allow me to give the panels an exact height at which they will meet up > so in section they wind up being 3 inches or so off at the peak (rounding > inaccuracies compound over the run of the roof make this somewhat > impossible). > > Thanks for your input! > > "priority" wrote in message > news:9814821.1076222007643.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2... > > Go to your 3D view. Place your mouse at the peak you wish to change. Tap > your TAB key until the peak highlights. Now you should be able to pull the > peak up and down. > >
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

After you finish the sketch by default it places the peak at the center of the roof model. To adjust the position of the peak to the left or right:

1. Go back into the sketch mode
2. Select right or left slope lines and right click into the element properties dialog box.
Here is where you can type in the slope for that particular side. The change in slope on one side will offset the center line of the roof model. Gotta play with it to get the right roof pitch or center position.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

As I understand it, your intent is to have different slopes for the two sides so that they meet at a specified height and at a specified line in plan. This should be done using Slope Arrows. Refer to the attached picture. Put a Ref Plane on the line where you want the roof ridge (not really necessary, just a convenience). While editing the roof sketch, select the two opposite lines of the roof and uncheck Defines Slope in the option bar. Now sketch a Slope Arrow perpendicular to each of these lines and ending on the Ref Plane. Select each Slope Arrow and go to Properties. Make sure that Specify is set to Height at Tail. Make sure that Height Offset at Head is the same for both, and is the height you want for the ridge. A roof plane will be created whose slope is in the direction of the Slope Arrow and whose height at the head of the arrow is the height specified in the Slope Arrow. Since the height of both planes is the same at the heads, and both lie on the Ref Plane, this guarantees that the roof ridge will be on this Ref Plane at the specified height. "clarkitekt" wrote in message news:4027dde5$1_1@newsprd01... > Thanks for the advise. This will work for getting an exact height for the > peak (which we do need) but I also need to adjust where in plan that peak > happens. i.e.. the peak isn't exactly at the centerline of the roof, it is > exactly 15' from the centerline of the roof (again in plan). I have tried to > create two separate panels and then join them, but the current parameters > don't allow me to give the panels an exact height at which they will meet up > so in section they wind up being 3 inches or so off at the peak (rounding > inaccuracies compound over the run of the roof make this somewhat > impossible). > > Thanks for your input! > > "priority" wrote in message > news:9814821.1076222007643.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2... > > Go to your 3D view. Place your mouse at the peak you wish to change. Tap > your TAB key until the peak highlights. Now you should be able to pull the > peak up and down. > >
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Perfect, this is exactly what I was looking for! I for some reason thought the slope arrows were only for annotation purposes. Thanks. "Irwin Jungreis" wrote in message news:40285c67$1_2@newsprd01... > As I understand it, your intent is to have different slopes for the two sides so that they meet at a specified height and at a > specified line in plan. This should be done using Slope Arrows. > > Refer to the attached picture. Put a Ref Plane on the line where you want the roof ridge (not really necessary, just a convenience). > While editing the roof sketch, select the two opposite lines of the roof and uncheck Defines Slope in the option bar. Now sketch a > Slope Arrow perpendicular to each of these lines and ending on the Ref Plane. Select each Slope Arrow and go to Properties. Make > sure that Specify is set to Height at Tail. Make sure that Height Offset at Head is the same for both, and is the height you want > for the ridge. A roof plane will be created whose slope is in the direction of the Slope Arrow and whose height at the head of the > arrow is the height specified in the Slope Arrow. Since the height of both planes is the same at the heads, and both lie on the Ref > Plane, this guarantees that the roof ridge will be on this Ref Plane at the specified height. > > "clarkitekt" wrote in message news:4027dde5$1_1@newsprd01... > > Thanks for the advise. This will work for getting an exact height for the > > peak (which we do need) but I also need to adjust where in plan that peak > > happens. i.e.. the peak isn't exactly at the centerline of the roof, it is > > exactly 15' from the centerline of the roof (again in plan). I have tried to > > create two separate panels and then join them, but the current parameters > > don't allow me to give the panels an exact height at which they will meet up > > so in section they wind up being 3 inches or so off at the peak (rounding > > inaccuracies compound over the run of the roof make this somewhat > > impossible). > > > > Thanks for your input! > > > > "priority" wrote in message > > news:9814821.1076222007643.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2... > > > Go to your 3D view. Place your mouse at the peak you wish to change. Tap > > your TAB key until the peak highlights. Now you should be able to pull the > > peak up and down. > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report