Revit Architecture

*Douglas W Dunn
Message 1 of 3 (515 Views)

roof bearing point

515 Views, 2 Replies
07-21-2004 01:06 PM
here is an example of a section of a building with a roof that was created using the pick walls method. i am not sure, maybe i have not studied roofs enough, but i would like roof to use the exterior surface of the core to bear on, not the interior surface, is this a function of the family ietself, or is there a way to change this individually by roof instance? this is the way that most modern trussed roofs are these days; at least here in the south. in the olden days of hand framing, the rafters would bear in the interior surface and be notched out to rest flat on the top plate of the walls. nowadays, the truss has a flat surface on the bottom, and the bottom chord of the truss sits on the wall plate and the sloped part of the truss would bear on the exterior rough surface of the wall. thanks doug
*Douglas W Dunn
Message 2 of 3 (515 Views)

Re: roof bearing point

07-21-2004 01:13 PM in reply to: *Douglas W Dunn
dang it... i hate it when i post something and then find the answer 2 minutes later.... i changed the roof type from rafter to truss... and voila... now the only problem is that it seems to bear on the surface of the sheathing instead of the core.. but i will investigate further... "Douglas W Dunn" wrote in message news:40fecce3_3@newsprd01... > here is an example of a section of a building with a roof that was created > using the pick walls method. > > i am not sure, maybe i have not studied roofs enough, but i would like roof > to use the exterior surface of the core to bear on, not the interior > surface, is this a function of the family ietself, or is there a way to > change this individually by roof instance? this is the way that most modern > trussed roofs are these days; at least here in the south. in the olden days > of hand framing, the rafters would bear in the interior surface and be > notched out to rest flat on the top plate of the walls. nowadays, the truss > has a flat surface on the bottom, and the bottom chord of the truss sits on > the wall plate and the sloped part of the truss would bear on the exterior > rough surface of the wall. > > thanks > > doug > > >
*Scott H
Message 3 of 3 (515 Views)

Re: roof bearing point

07-22-2004 11:31 AM in reply to: *Douglas W Dunn
Typically walls are sheathed before you put a roof truss on, no? Seems like face of sheathing is correct...

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube