Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

roof above: how to show dashed lines?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
saipanda
21728 Views, 8 Replies

roof above: how to show dashed lines?

In the sample file, RAC Advanced Sample File, there is an entry canopy.  It is constructed as a generic roof placed on level 2. 

I noticed that on the first floor plan, this roof slab shows as dashed lines.  How is this done???

I tried copying/duplicating this roof, but dashed lines do not show... 

Would anyone know the trick?? 

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
loboarch
in reply to: saipanda

I know the trick.  I created the sample file.  Smiley Happy

The way to get the dashed lines above is to underlay the level above so you can see the edge of the roof.  Then use the linework tool and select the edges of the roof to create a dashed line.  Now the underlay can be turned off leaving only the dashed lines of the roof above showing.  You can lock the linework to the roof edge when you create it as weel so it will remain coordinated with the roof above if there is a design change.

Here is a smple video to show you the process.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 9
saipanda
in reply to: loboarch

Thanks Jeff ! 

And the video ! 

Message 4 of 9
Arc.Magdy20

thank you.
I spend a very long time to reach it Smiley Happy

@loboarch wrote:

The way to get the dashed lines above is to underlay the level above so you can see the edge of the roof.  Then use the linework tool and select the edges of the roof to create a dashed line.  Now the underlay can be turned off leaving only the dashed lines of the roof above showing.  You can lock the linework to the roof edge when you create it as weel so it will remain coordinated with the roof above if there is a design change.

Here is a smple video to show you the process.

Message 5 of 9
chrisplyler

@loboarch wrote:

Yeah... impressive enough alright... but still feels kind of like you cheated to answer this question. Like when a CEO sells stock right before his company gets into trouble. I think they call it Insider Trading. Or like when a car dealership has a drawing for a free car, and then you find out that an employee who is also the owner's cousin was the winner. I don't know if there's a word for that one. Kinda feels like what you did here in this thread. Like, good for you, but also a little bit tainted. Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 9
auriza

Thank you.

It feels more like a workaround though. Actually, I have known that trick before, I am looking for official, more like the right way to do this. But since you the one who created the sample file, I guess this is the only way. Dunno if there is solution for this issue in newer version of revit.

Message 7 of 9
AngelaM.1
in reply to: auriza

You can actually make the underlay dashed in Floor plan. Go to your V/G under roofs override the line type to be dashed. you don't need to draw lines or turn off the underlay. I hope this helps someone 🙂

Message 8 of 9
mail

This is all fine and dandy and how I've done it. I've also used V/G to show the roof in plan as dashed. But the question I have is, what if you have multiple roof planes and they intersect and go over the floor plan and you don't want it to? How do you limit the view of the dashed roofline above?

Message 9 of 9
bmonroe7YW3H
in reply to: mail

yes this is my next question...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report