Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

revit 2014 performance while loading family's?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
JVANZELST9191
281 Views, 2 Replies

revit 2014 performance while loading family's?

Revit 2014 performance question

I am looking for a way to boost the performance in Revit 2014 while loading or updating complex family’s. The problem at the moment seems to be that Revit 2014 only uses 1 cpu while loading family’s even if you have a high end multicore workstation at hand. So with hardware there is not much you can do.

A possible solution should be in virtualization, i.e. running Revit 2014 in a virtual machine with a single vCpu assigned on a vmware Esxi or Microsoft Hyper-v multi core host. I have tested this solution but ran into the problem that neither Esxi or Hyper-v distribute the load of the single Vcpu in the virtual machine over de multicore’s of the host.  1 Vcpu uses just one core of the host so no cpu performance advantage at all.  The best practice of adding Vcpu’s to the virtual machine just lowers the performance of Revit in this case.

Suggestions on possible solutions for revit performance or the behavior of Vcpu in virtualization environments are greatly appreciated.

Jos v Zelst           

JvZ
Revit 2014
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

If your computer is loading a family slowly, instead of updating your hardware, check also the families (it is cheaper). Sometimes it is the way the family is created what really affects the performance of your machine. Here there are some recommendations:

Instead of long formulas, prefer types and no formulas.

Instead of several visibility parameters, prefer family type parameters

Instead of having several types, prefer type catalogs

Instead of "all in one" families, prefer separate families.

Instead of many levels of nesting, prefer just two.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 3

I understand the urgency to make familys lean,  but in this case we purposly build them this way to get the most out of it in terms of speed while modeling . so for the revtiteer its a 'simple' change of parameters to make a lot of changes in the family and subfamilys at once. this functions fine

But maintaining the family proofs to be not so speedy.  

This performance problem is also not limited to loading familys but  making views and placing them on sheets in an automated way also runs into the 'revit uses only 1 cpu' problem

mvgr

JvZ
Revit 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report