Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

residential architect trying to choose between autocad and revit

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
xanderb
2695 Views, 17 Replies

residential architect trying to choose between autocad and revit

Hello

Our office is trying to decide to switch to Autocad/Autocad architecture or Revit Architecture from DataCAD.

We are primarily a residential architecture firm.  Lots of custom homes, sweep roofs, asymmetrical designs.  We had tried revit 6 and we found it not to work for our construction drawings.  We also do multi-family and senior assisted living facilities.  We rarely do institutional or commercial work as of late, although we have done a bit in the past.

Any input you can give that would help make a decision is appreciated.

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: xanderb

What type of program is DataCAD, is it 2D, 3D, Object based, line-based ? , and what features or advantages are you looking for in choosing another software?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 18
vector2

IMHO- ADT 2004 was the last best CAD program suitable for residential drafting and design.. it even has MentalRay rendering packaged with it.. there is no doubt in my mind that revit is a better drafting program than even ADT 2004 for residential drafting- but ADT 2004 is an excellent residential drafting program.. also- someone who is older and already knows AutoCAD- starting over could be tough and not totally necessary just for residential.. but DataCAD is something different and should be investigated as it is a residential program by nature and apparently has new parametric features.. sorry none of this is any great revelation..
Message 4 of 18
xanderb

DataCAD is 3d, line based.  we're looking for a program that will allow us to produce construction drawings quickly and efficiently.

Message 5 of 18
cvandevere

IMHO hands down Revit is the way to go!!!  Yuo can even try the Revit Architecture Suite which includes Autocad Architecture as well.

CDV
Message 6 of 18
Alfredo_Medina

From the three options you have mentioned, AutoCAD, AutoCAD Architecture, and Revit, I would only discard plain AutoCAD. Even though it has been used for so many years in architectural drawings, choosing it today as your new software will place you in some kind of technological disadvantage.

AutoCAD Architecture is an excellent program; you can get your models to a great level of detail, and it comes with the Detail Components Library, which is a very comprehensive database of 2D elements, arranged by categories. Schedules are very powerful, once you set them up. Floor plans can be drawn to perfection, no matter the complexity, with all the excellent tools provided. The main fault of AutoCAD Architecture is that elevations and sections are not fully bidirectional with the model, and also, I should mention that some features are not ready to be used out of the box, or might not be so user-friendly.

About Revit, well, you said you tried Revit 6. That was a long time ago in Revit´s life. Now we have Revit 2011, which is a very robust program. The advantage of Revit over ACA is that Revit is fully bidirectional, and is a true BIM program, where the model and the information are always related to one another all the time. A change anywhere is a change everywhere. Revit helps you to produce more in a shorter time than the other two options being considered. Revit is very user friendly and fun when it is used for the basic stuff.  However, when you go beyond the basics, you will discover all its complexities and difficulties. One of the drawbacks about Revit, especially this current version, is the help documentation. Even though the information you need might be there, it is difficult to find with the new help system implemented in 2011. However, there are other resources, such as newsgroups like this one or Augi, when you need help with something that is not in the book, or in the help documents.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 7 of 18
xanderb
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Decision made: Autocad Architecture

Revit will not be the best fit for us as a residential firm.  If we were institutional/educational/commercial firm we would definitely go with Revit.

Thanks for all your input.

Message 8 of 18
cvandevere

Good luck with your decision.  I do fair amount of residential work and for me I will only use Revit. This is coming from someone that used autocad/architectural desktop/autocad architecture for over 20 years. I switched over to Revit about 5 years ago and have never looked backed. As an architect it has really has allowed me to spend more time designing. In addition to being able create all the documents that I need from the model it also gives me the ability to provide clients quick rendered images of various design opportunities through out the entire process.

CDV
Message 9 of 18
BobbyC.Jones

@xanderb wrote:

Decision made: Autocad Architecture

Revit will not be the best fit for us as a residential firm.  If we were institutional/educational/commercial firm we would definitely go with Revit.

Thanks for all your input.

I've been in the residential field a long time.  I've used all three of the products mentioned in this thread, AutoCAD since R9, ACA since it was ADT 2i, and Revit for the past few years.  Revit is by far the best of the three.

If you do decide to stick with ACA, then I recommend that you look at one of the residential add-ons to it, like VisonREZ or Blackpoint, although Blackpoint may be service only now, but still worth a look.

--
Bobby C. Jones
Message 10 of 18
xanderb

Thanks Bobby for your contribution.  We are definitely moving to Autocad.  I will look into VisionRes and Blackpoint.  THanks for the tip.

I know Revit is the better product, and BIM is where the industry is headed.  We will hire someone who knows it when its time to switch, down the road.  For now its autocad. 

Message 11 of 18
Alfredo_Medina

In your previous message you said your decision was AutoCAD Architecture. Now in this message you said you're moving to AutoCAD. Just be sure that you do not confuse the two terms because there is a huge difference. I say this because I have known of some places where people were supposedly using Architectural Desktop (the former name for ACA) but in reality, they were just using the AutoCAD portion of it, only.

Message 12 of 18

Xanderb,

Before you purchase, you might want to talk to your vendor about Revit Architecture Suite. For a VERY reasonable amount more (relatively speaking) you get Revit Architecture AND AutoCAD Architecture. I think the savings on ACA is actually thousands of dollars...Then you can have the best of both worlds.

Message 13 of 18
xanderb
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

We have no interest in Revit at this time.  When the time comes to switch, we will pursue Revit then.  Thanks for the suggestion to buy both but the economy has affected us (like most everyone) to the point where essential purchases are the only ones made.

Message 14 of 18

'nuf said- we're all in the same boat I think.

Message 15 of 18
Popz

Since you have decided to go with Autocad Architecture... you might want to look at the "add-on" program Vision Rez...

http://www.visionrez.com

It's a great add-on that is geared toward residential work... the roof design portion is fantastic...

Message 16 of 18
vector2
in reply to: Popz

i don't know what kind of rendering engine this Vision Rez has- but the illumination quality is poor like AccuRender..
Message 17 of 18
ntellery
in reply to: vector2

Mental Ray was introduced into autocad in the 2007 version not 2004.

VisionRez uses the Autocad Mental Ray rendering engine, the same as autocad, the same as Revit though the interface is different (as it is an add on package to AutoCAD Architecture).

Illumination in the hands of unskilled amateurs in any program including Max will give you poor quality!

www.ausaca.blogspot.com
Do you know all about the Roof Object? Learn it's secrets
http://ausaca.blogspot.com.au/p/roof-object-video-links.html
Message 18 of 18

actually. the revit architecture suite with a combination of auto cad architecture is perfect for the architecture firm. you can draw the details in autocad and link the drawings into revit architecture. once this set up is formed, you can have both drawings be very useful for presentation to any clients and other structural engineering company. the revit can actually show complete details to how the building or residential homes should  look like in less than half a day work.

compare to autocad application alone. plus the company dont need a seperate software application for rendering by using impression software, 3d drawings using maya and staging different types of floor levels...for all this work? can all be done in 2 hours or half a day work if you have a huge project to do. autodesk seperated the detail drawings for a reason. if need to have the structural details in the drawings then purchase the structure suite. it has both revit structure and architecture including autocad architecture and structure.

i worked for a architecture firm. they rather keep the revit architecture other than autocad architecture. i only use the cad architecture software for details and revit for bim in development. its easy and fast plus you can actually see the final results of any productions. its also easy to make any changes and not one information loses its time and value.

i hope this might help you think twice. as far as i know 80% of architecture, structure and construction companies has switched. its easy and user friendly. Smiley Wink

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report