Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"snap" in sheet view

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
boiko
7363 Views, 17 Replies

"snap" in sheet view

It seems that there is no way to use “snaps” in sheet view in order to align “view titles” of details or put two different sections next to each other so that their floor line elevations align and so on.

Please, tell me that there is some setting that I need to turn on and the “snaps” would start working in sheet view as they do in the model.
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Steve_Stafford
in reply to: boiko

Views that are the same scale will offer a green dashed line to "snap" in alignment. So a floor plan will offer this line when you place a floor plan next to/above/below another. A section will snap in to another etc...look for the green dashed line and make sure the views are the same scale.

For views of different scale, it comes down to "close enough"...use the nudge tool to position things too.
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous

There are two types of snapping on sheets. The first is snapping between viewport titles and other elements on the sheet. The second is snapping between views themselves. Steve is 'almost' correct about how the view snapping works. It's actually not the same scale, but whether the views share a 'common 3d model point'. This allows elevations, sections and plans to line up in natural ways (elevations and sections next to each other lined up vertically, plans stacked vertically or horizontally). Try a simple example of a plan and a section to see what I mean... You can also use the move and nudge tools to line things up as well. matt jezyk autodesk revit "Steve_Stafford" wrote in message news:12959346.1111455025364.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Views that are the same scale will offer a green dashed line to "snap" in alignment. So a floor plan will offer this line when you place a floor plan next to/above/below another. A section will snap in to another etc...look for the green dashed line and make sure the views are the same scale. > > For views of different scale, it comes down to "close enough"...use the nudge tool to position things too.
Message 4 of 18
Steve_Stafford

Almost?...oh yeah wise guy!...if they are different scales they don't snap. *-)

(point taken oh wise one)
Message 5 of 18
boiko

Thanks!

the green dashed line in "sheet view" allows for alignment of sections, elevations and plans that are the same scale as well as for alignment of the "view titles". That is all I needed. Great program!
Message 6 of 18
JeffreyMcGrew

For details, we simply use a Detail Box, which is nothing more than a generic annotation placed within the detail (that auto-scales to always be the same size) and then when we place them on a sheet we just 'nudge' them to align. Not the best, it would be great to have a way to snap to something within the view for lining up plans sheet-to-sheet, but it works.
Message 7 of 18
wakorb

I have searched and search and have to belive that a program with these grate capabilities must have some prevision for something so simple and this is why i have to hope that none of us have stumbled upon how to align views exactly via snaps. Unfortunately I have found that it is the easy things that this program lacks. Mr. or Ms. Autodesk if your listening this must be fixed.
Message 8 of 18
wakorb

I would also like to add that it does seem to use the center of the views to align to each other but these are not true alignment methods either as the center of the crop region will never be correct until the crop region can be created to be the exact size of the detail area wanted because again you can not snap to anything. If I am incorrect about the center of the crop region being the base form alignment please point me to where I may find the criteria for alignment documentation, Thanks.
Message 9 of 18
rbradshaw
in reply to: Anonymous

I recently moved offices and found that the project files here do not have a 'snap' for view titles. There is the 3D snap, where I am able to align two elevations from the same level, but I'm having problems with the actual view title snapping to other view titles. The bubbles are not aligning and the stems are not aligning.

Thoughts?

Message 10 of 18
Steven_Cunningham

Is there an easy way to get views to "line up" between sheets?  I like to have all of my floor plans "stacked" so that when I print to a pdf, or other digital format, the plans flip through all with the same origin.  Also, I like to have the view titles to "line up" in the same way.  I know, I'm kinda ticky that way.

Message 11 of 18

I would suggest the use of Guide Grids to promote some consistency between sheets. My personal method is:

1. Create a grid on a Sheet View, leave the name as default (it will be changed later).

2. Set the Guide Spacing (under Properties) to 48" (something bigger than the sheet) so that only two lines are visible.

3. Move the Guide Grid so that those two visible grid lines line up with a major Column (no snap - you'll have to eyeball it).

4. Set the Guide Spacing back to 1", and adjust the boundary to match the Title Block by selecting it and dragging the grips.

5. Set the Guide Spacing again back to 48" (or whatever it was set to the first time).

6. Rename the Guide Grid according to the Column Lines so you'll know exactly where to line a View up to it.

Now you can simply assign this Guide Grid to other Sheet Views and line the Viewport up accordingly. With this method, you won't have that array of grid lines getting in the way (of course you can just turn them off), especially if you work through Activated Viewports. I like to leave them turned on so others can see the setup. Dont forget to Pin!

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 12 of 18
David_W_Koch
in reply to: CoreyDaun

You can find a video that more or less corresponds to what Corey described on Paul Aubin's blog, if you find seeing easier than reading:
http://paulaubin.com/blog/revit-guide-grids/

David Koch
AutoCAD Architecture and Revit User
Blog | LinkedIn
EESignature

Message 13 of 18

I know this issue is old for you, but it plagued me today, and here's what I've found. See below.

When “Show Title” is set to “When Multiple Views” the view titles don’t snap. They do snap if you set this to “Yes”

14-01-2015 4-25-15 p.m..png

Message 14 of 18
apatelVX9SV
in reply to: JeffreyMcGrew

That's what irks me! Why must we have to eyeball the darned detail box in place when there ought to be a way to provide a reference plane intersection by editing the family (Detail Box). Revit does not provide the ability to draw reference planes in this family. So we end up having to draw ref planes over the Detail Box that behave like asymptotes, never really snapping on the edge but just getting close to it. One ends up having to zoom in a lot to get the  superficial ref planes to align with the edges. You have probably had the same nightmare. Also, this means we have to do this for each and every detail.  I've asked colleagues and everyone has this complaint.  One would think that Autodesk would have fixed this by now.

Message 15 of 18
ToanDN
in reply to: apatelVX9SV

@apatelVX9SV

It is doable.

Load the Detail box to your view and draw a reference plane snap to the corner of the box.  Place view on sheet and you can snap the end of the reference plane (aka the corner of the Detail box) to any snap-able linework on the sheet.  Revit file is attached.

Capture.PNG

Message 16 of 18
apatelVX9SV
in reply to: ToanDN

Thanks, ToanDN, but that is what I have been doing all this time ( which is what I mentioned in my previous comment). With this method, one has to add these reference planes for each detail view. The ref. planes are not integral to the Detail Box family. I was trying to find a way to add the reference planes ONCE ONLY (as part of the Detail Box family), so that we don't have to do it per view.  Would be a big time saver.

Message 17 of 18
ToanDN
in reply to: apatelVX9SV

It is true that you cannot snap a reference plane from the detail box family on sheet. 

But I found the statement "So we end up having to draw ref planes over the Detail Box that behave like asymptotes, never really snapping on the edge but just getting close to it. One ends up having to zoom in a lot to get the  superficial ref planes to align with the edges." is not quite what I see.  I can draw a reference plan on the project detail view, snapping right onto the annotation detail box family easily.  There is no need for zooming or gauging or anything like that.

Message 18 of 18
apatelVX9SV
in reply to: ToanDN

Yes, you are right. I tried it in a fresh view from scratch and it works fine like you say. Its only when I bring in detail views incl detail boxes from other folks' projects. I'll have to discuss this with colleagues.  Appreciate your feedback! Thx.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report