Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Autodesk REVIT has stopped working" - PLEASE HELP!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
jkozik
10989 Views, 14 Replies

"Autodesk REVIT has stopped working" - PLEASE HELP!

Product: REVIT Architecture 2010 64bit
Operating System: Windows 7
Computer: ASUS G60JX laptop
Processor: Intel Core i5
Memory: 4 GB

I downloaded REVIT through the Autodesk Assistance Program about a month ago. Things were working fine for about three or so weeks. A few days ago, I try to open REVIT and I get this message:

Problem:

"Autodesk Revit has stopped working" (See attached JPEG)

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Revit.exe
Application Version: 2010.0.2009.317
Application Timestamp: 49c06b60
Fault Module Name: StackHash_6c7f
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000007ff011437f9
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 6c7f
Additional Information 2: 6c7f9319cd444327e4cf059b571a754c
Additional Information 3: 98d0
Additional Information 4: 98d095787723de929f508e750397daa0

Failed Remedy:

I tried reinstalling the software, but got the same message. I tried restoring Windows 7 to an earlier time, but that didn't work. I'm at my wits end. I contacted ASUS and they basically said I need to do a system restore. WHAT? A system restore? I don't want to go through that. That's like telling someone with athlete's foot to cut off their foot to solve the problem.

Not sure why the program would stop working all of a sudden.

PLEASE HELP!
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
vector2
in reply to: jkozik

>I contacted ASUS and they basically said I need to do a system restore. WHAT? A system restore? I don't want to go through that. That's >like telling someone with athlete's foot to cut off their foot to solve the problem.

the most amazing thing to me about using computers
is that half of all computer users do a system restore
on a regular basis as a routine- and the other half
never understands why that is no matter how many
years they use computers- that's amazing to me..

since i started using computers 15 years ago
with windows 95 i have restored my system
an average of once a month..

i don't remember ever seeing a blue screen
and i don't remember revit ever crashing
since i started using revit version 8..

i also go everywhere and anywhere on the
internet and i have seen all kinds of worms
and viruses but i just laugh at them and restore
them away..

my computer is always fast and flawless..

system restoration is the easiest thing i
know to do with my computer..
Message 3 of 15
jkozik

I'm sorry, I actually used the wrong word!

I've already done a "RESTORE".

They are telling me I need to do a System "RECOVERY", which is basically reinstalling Windows and all my other programs.

I also forgot to mention that the computer is less than a month old.

Also saw this on the "Autodesk Revit Architecture Service and Support" page. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13885436&linkID=9243099

Issue:

You are wondering about support for running Revit 2010 products and previous versions on a computer using Windows 7

Solution:

Windows 7 is not a tested environment for Revit 2010 and previous version products. You may be able to use Windows 7 and a Revit 2010 or previous version product, however, we may not be able to resolve every issue you encounter at this time. Edited by: jkozik on May 16, 2010 5:31 PM
Message 4 of 15
vector2

it didn't mean anything a year ago that autodesk
didn't test windows 7- revit 2010 ran great on
windows 7 anyway..

"recovery" has nothing to do with installing
windows.. but "restore" does..

dictionary definition of "restore":
1. to bring back into existence, use, or the like;
reestablish: to restore order.

when you bring something back into existence
that means it was OUT of existence..

when you delete everything off of your hard drive
that also means everything on that hard drive
goes OUT of "existence"..

and when you install windows and put it
BACK on your hard drive you are "restoring"
your hard drive back to what it was..

this is something i do every month..

and if you want to fix your problem- that
is probably what you should do- just like
they said- restore..
Message 5 of 15
jkozik

Uhhhh.......thanks for the English language lesson I guess.

All I know is I did a "System Restore" as shown on the attached JPEG file. I did not have to re-install Windows to do this.

ASUS wants me to do the the "Advanced recovery methods", "Reinstall Windows" as shown on the attached JPEG

So anyway....I went ahead and un-installed Revit 2010 and installed Revit 2011 which seems to work.

Also I found "clean uninstall" instructions for Revit 2010 on the Autodesk website if anyone doesn't know about them: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13712572&linkID=9243099

Still would be interested if anyone else has experienced the above referenced issue. Hopefully Revit 2011 will run fine! 🙂

Thanks all!
Message 6 of 15
yoyomama

hey guys I'm going through the same thing as well. My Revit Architecture has stopped working.

When I go to open the a file or the program the program begins to start up ( you know the pretty logo and image) but the the same "the program has stopped working" window pops up and something about sending the information error report for solutions to microsoft, but nothing happens afterwords. The sending error report message window that usually sends errors to microsoft never pops up to actually send the report.

I am running Revit Architecture 2010 and on window XP and I two have a computer thats less than a month old.

I have had it installed for less than a month, it worked a day ago, I was rendering an image. I have had the image just stop rendering for no reason, and I have also had "revit has stopped working" windows pop up occasionally, but also followed with an error reporting window actually sending information.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled and still can't get further than the opening logo image .

I will try some of the things you guys discussed, but just wondering if anyone else has had this, or if there are any new solutions or explanations.

Thanks Yolanda
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

Try re-installing dotNet 3.5 - it might be corrupted. If you have a
network install location, you should find it in
AdminImage\support\dotnetfx\wcu\dotNetFramework\dotNetFx35setup.exe
If you don't have a network install, it should be available on your
Revit dvd somewhere - just look for the dotNetFx35setup.exe file.

Regards,
Ken
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

Try re-installing dotNet...see my reply elsewhere in this thread.
Message 9 of 15
darwinwirawan

Hi there,

Try to use a different profile on your windows system.

Log off and log in as different user.

cheers,

d.

Message 10 of 15
faboo3

so is there any other way that can cure this problem?  even though using two profiles was the only way to get revit to work on my station, it's very counterproductive.

thanks

Message 11 of 15
scurtis436

I have a classroom with 29 Dell Precision T3400 computers running Vista Business SP1.  We have been using Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010 for a year. Last week 3 of the computers came up with the "Autodesk REVIT has stopped working".  I have tried everything I can think of.  It will work if I log on as the local administrator but will not work logged in as the student (with administrative privileges)  There is nothing different about these 3 computers from the other 26 that are working well.  All of the other programs we are using in the Autodesk Design Academy 2010 work on these 3 computers but not the Revit Architecture.  Anyone got any ideas?

Message 12 of 15
trthomas
in reply to: scurtis436

I am having the same problem with two of my lab computers and have not been able to fix as yer.  I did try to log on as a different user, and the software ran on one of the machines.

Message 13 of 15
KEVINJBELL

I am having the same issue as the original poster for this thread. I am running Revit Architecture 2010 in my office on 5 machines. Three of the machines are using a license server. Two days ago Revit stopped working on one of the license server machines. Every time I try to launch the program, I get the following error message:

"Autodesk Revit has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

The machine had no updates on that day that could have triggered this. Both Revit Architecture & Windows 7 are up-to-date.

Product: REVIT Architecture 2010 64bit
Operating System: Windows 7 (boot camp)
Computer: iMac (silver)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz
Memory: 4 GB

Faulting application name: WSCommCntr1.exe, version: 18.0.55.0, time stamp: 0x498fdff7

Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0000000000000000

Faulting process id: 0xf38

Faulting application start time: 0x01cb9664a3bf11c8

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\WSCommCntr1.exe

Faulting module path: unknown

Report Id: 7163d118-0258-11e0-a75a-0023123b1aac

I have done a complete uninstall & reinstall of Revit, plus tried every solution I could find on the web for this problem (Turning off DEP does not work on 64-bit programs, also the program will not launch if I use task manager).

Message 14 of 15
ZachGraff
in reply to: scurtis436

Try renaming the WSCommCntrData.xml file in a folder somewhere like the following:

\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Revit\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010\ENU\Components\WebServices

The file will be recreated and if that was the issue Revit should open just fine.

Message 15 of 15
CARZONTEHILL
in reply to: KEVINJBELL

I am having the same issue with Autodesk Architecture 2012.  I am running with Windows 7 professional 64 bit. AutoCad opened and ran  fine this morning for about 15-20 minutes. .  I edited an x-ref in place and got the error message "AutoCad has stopped working" upon "save and Exit".  I have not been able to get AutoCad to run again.

HELP

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report