Revit Architecture

Valued Contributor
amason43
Message 11 of 18 (580 Views)

Re: nO aUTOCAPS? (aND oTHER pOINTS OF pAIN)

06-10-2010 02:15 PM in reply to: vector2

vector2 wrote:
why would you need a Caps Lock switch in revit when you got one on your keyboard?

And I repeat - "I'm working on it, but I'm not an advanced typist so I look at my keyboard while typing.  Look at the title of this post and you'll see the problem this causes."

Anthony Mason - CAD/BIM Manager
Nichols Melburg & Rossetto Architects + Engineers
Blog: Daily Occurrence
AutoCAD Architecture 2008 SP2 / Revit Architecture 2011
Microsoft Windows XP SP3 / Google Chrome
Distinguished Contributor
Robert_Grandmaison
Message 12 of 18 (580 Views)

06-10-2010 02:18 PM in reply to: amason43

Many of us n the work environment run several writing applications at once. With AutoCAD having an AutoCAPS function in the Mtext Edtior it's very easy and convenient to switch from something like writing Emails in Outlook or documents in Word,where you dont' want to type in ALLCAPS, to creating Mtext within AutoCAD that appears in all uppercase.

It's not an unreasonable request for those of us in the business environment that run multiple applications in real world use to want to have an AutoCAPS function in Revit. Sure the CAPSLock key is on a keyboard, but it's sure nice not to have to use it if you don't have to...it's way to easy to switch to another application and to start typing quickly, only tofind you've left your CAPSlock on....

Valued Mentor
vector2
Message 13 of 18 (570 Views)

06-10-2010 02:48 PM in reply to: Robert_Grandmaison
OPPS- I LEFT THAT DARN CAPS LOCK ON AGAIN.. hey wow- i got this great idea.. write a letter to microsoft and suggest that they put a caps lock switch in their Word program so when you are done typing your all caps letter and you go into revit- you won't forget you have the caps lock key on..
Mentor
lawrencerobinson5
Message 14 of 18 (526 Views)

06-15-2010 08:09 AM in reply to: vector2

When you move or drag anything in revit you get alignment lines that will temporarily appear, use that to precisely line up your text. 

As far as the caps issue I'm with the other guy, it's called "Caps Lock".  Why would they add a redundant feature to Revit when it is already such a heavy program?  I mean the arguement that hitting the caps lock button would be somehow cumbersome when switching applications is ridiculous.  I mean for anyone using common hand positioning for typing the caps lock button is just one away from "a" where a finger is anchored.

If you can't think outside the box a little I'm amazed you are a CAD manager.  As a CAD manager myself I know that thinking outside the box and looking for solution, not reasons to complain, is my job.  The other CAD users in the company already do enough complaining, they don't need to come to someone for help that will just say "the program sucks".

Lawrence

Valued Contributor
amason43
Message 15 of 18 (518 Views)

06-15-2010 09:18 AM in reply to: lawrencerobinson5

Yes, you can precisely line up your text - WITH OTHER TEXT.  Nevermind though.  I've resigned myself to eyeballing, as I am not all that resistant to change.  If that's the way it is, that's the way it is.  No point letting it get me down, but I will keep it on the wish list.
You mention 'common hand positioning' yet you seem to have missed my comment that I'm not a great typist - yet.  I'm working on it.  That said, a lot of folks in this profession are worse typists than I am, so I still think it's a valid request, and one that Autodesk accommodated in AutoCAD a decade ago.  Apparently they thought it was valid too.
By the way, thanks for questioning my capability to perform my job based on one post totally taken out of context.  If I were complaining and not looking for a solution, do you think I would have posted here?  Interesting that you consider me to not think outside the box because I question functionality.  Apparently we have opposite definitions for the term...
I happen to really like Revit, and the more I use it the more I like it.  I know that as we implement it I will get plenty of comments about how much it sucks, but that's nothing new - I get the same thing about AutoCAD.

lawrencerobinson5 wrote:

When you move or drag anything in revit you get alignment lines that will temporarily appear, use that to precisely line up your text. 

As far as the caps issue I'm with the other guy, it's called "Caps Lock".  Why would they add a redundant feature to Revit when it is already such a heavy program?  I mean the arguement that hitting the caps lock button would be somehow cumbersome when switching applications is ridiculous.  I mean for anyone using common hand positioning for typing the caps lock button is just one away from "a" where a finger is anchored.

If you can't think outside the box a little I'm amazed you are a CAD manager.  As a CAD manager myself I know that thinking outside the box and looking for solution, not reasons to complain, is my job.  The other CAD users in the company already do enough complaining, they don't need to come to someone for help that will just say "the program sucks".

Lawrence

Mentor
lawrencerobinson5
Message 16 of 18 (504 Views)

06-15-2010 10:39 AM in reply to: amason43

I question your abilty to think outside the box because you seemed more concerned about how it doesn't work like autocad than looking for a solution.  This is true in terms of caps as well as alignment.  If you can't figure this simple issue out for yourself then you are not thinking outside the box.  The average CAD user is not terrible at typing so my comment about hand postioning will apply to a large majority of users.  Just a tip, if you're so sensitive about your inability to type then take a lesson online or something.  I'd be a little embarassed too if I managed something computer related and couldn't type.

Lawrence

Valued Mentor
vector2
Message 17 of 18 (480 Views)

06-15-2010 01:19 PM in reply to: amason43
Valued Contributor
amason43
Message 18 of 18 (474 Views)

06-15-2010 01:21 PM in reply to: vector2

Free solution:

http://www.typingweb.com/

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube