Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

loading a family

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
regalith
364 Views, 3 Replies

loading a family

Why when I load a family does Revit open another view or pull up another view into that project when there is one already open.  I could understand if it was a view you might insert that family into however it is random.  I''m inserting a furniture system family and it opens the door schedule.  Makes no sense at all.  Revit 2013 with update release 1.

Chris

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
VWD-MLM
in reply to: regalith

Hi Chris,

No, when loading a family, Revit does not bring or create any new views related to the family.  Certain views can be 'inserted' from other Projects, ie, schedules, Sheets..........but not from within a family proper.  Usually, the first time you "Load into Project" from within an opened family, it will essentially come in under your mouse pointer in a plan or elevation view.  It will not (or should not) open a schedule as you cannot place families into schedule views, and should not be launching any schedules..............Did you by chance have a scehule view opened as well as a plan view wehn ylou inerted the family...sometimes depending on the graphics card and drivers, the view will 'switch' when loading families/views to another 'open view' as it regenerates the graphics.

Mike

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 3 of 4
regalith

Yes this is a repeatable event.

I have a family open and a project open.  While in the edit family window I hit "Load into Project" on the ribbon and the window comes up may be a plan view or a sheet view or a schedule.  The family never comes up under the curser ready to be placed.  Sometimes it will open a duplicate of  a sheet view already open with a "(1)" in the name.  This view disappears when it is closed and never shows up in the Project Browser.

I'm  using Revit 2013 however the same behavior occured in 2012.  It's a Dell Precision T3500 zeon W3530 2.8 GHz 12 GB ram, Win 7 64 bit Nvidia Quadro 2000.  All current drivers and updates installed.

Message 4 of 4
regalith

Here is a screen capture of the same sheet open twice after trying to insert a drafting view from another project also saved in 2013.  I don't think you can do this on purpose.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report