Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

linked object and selectability

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
442 Views, 7 Replies

linked object and selectability

Is there a way to stop Revit from trying to select a linked/imported CAD drawing whenever you move your mouse over it? What I have is a CAD drawing that I am now tracing over with column grid, etc. in Revit. When I move my mouse over the CAD drawing Revit highlights that object (with the box that bounds the entire drawing) rather than allowing me to select the grid line I just created. I want to trace and snap to the intersections, etc, but not edit or select that object. Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
andrewg07
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you using 6.0? The pick order in 6.0 seems (to myself, at least) to have changed (imported object last).

You can also go to Settings/Snap, check the "snaps off" box and then force your pick with a snap keyboard shortcut such as se, si, sm, etc. The shortcut are listed in the dialog box.
Message 3 of 8
markkmueller

*sigh*. Me too. It's driving me nuts. The only thing that is saving me is that I have a wheel mouse and the behavior is different at different zoom levels. So I can zoom in over the object until it becomes selectable. Otherwise dragging a selection box over it works too.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

so I take it there is not? It only makes sense...if I locked the thing, I am obviously not going to be editing it, thus not requiring the ability to select it. Any AutoDesk guys out there, can you add this to a wish list?
Message 5 of 8
markkmueller

Perhaps this is the trick your looking for... I just ran into it in the tutorial. Hit the tab key while the mouse is near the geometry you wish to select; this causes the selection mechanism to toggle through all of the nearby candidates.

HTH,
Mark
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Mark, Thanks. I just found that trick too in the help files. I was still hoping there would be a way to lock it so that it doesn't try to preselect something I really just want as a background...just a little annoying. So far though Revit is otherwise awesome. Finally leveraging the true potential of the computer for the AEC industry...it's about time.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Design Options were intended for a different purpose, but they can be used to solve this problem as an unintended side effect. Create an Option Set (call it something like Unselectable Imports) and create a single Option in it. Select the link or import element and Add to Option Set. You will now be unable to select the link unless you uncheck Exclude Options in the Modify tool option bar, but you will still be able to snap to the link. This will not work if the link was imported using Current View Only. "clarkitekt" wrote in message news:40172968_1@newsprd01... > Is there a way to stop Revit from trying to select a linked/imported CAD > drawing whenever you move your mouse over it? What I have is a CAD drawing > that I am now tracing over with column grid, etc. in Revit. When I move my > mouse over the CAD drawing Revit highlights that object (with the box that > bounds the entire drawing) rather than allowing me to select the grid line I > just created. I want to trace and snap to the intersections, etc, but not > edit or select that object. > > Thanks > >
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Brilliant idea. That should work perfectly. Thanks much. "Irwin Jungreis" wrote in message news:401c7422_2@newsprd01... > Design Options were intended for a different purpose, but they can be used to solve this problem as an unintended side effect. > > Create an Option Set (call it something like Unselectable Imports) and create a single Option in it. Select the link or import > element and Add to Option Set. You will now be unable to select the link unless you uncheck Exclude Options in the Modify tool > option bar, but you will still be able to snap to the link. > > This will not work if the link was imported using Current View Only. > > > "clarkitekt" wrote in message news:40172968_1@newsprd01... > > Is there a way to stop Revit from trying to select a linked/imported CAD > > drawing whenever you move your mouse over it? What I have is a CAD drawing > > that I am now tracing over with column grid, etc. in Revit. When I move my > > mouse over the CAD drawing Revit highlights that object (with the box that > > bounds the entire drawing) rather than allowing me to select the grid line I > > just created. I want to trace and snap to the intersections, etc, but not > > edit or select that object. > > > > Thanks > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report