Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

line-based family length updates.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ncopley
2009 Views, 2 Replies

line-based family length updates.

My question is relating to Line based families and getting them to properly schedule and adjust when the length is changed. The project I’m working on is taking a contractors approach to construction and we are trying to determine conduit run lengths throughout our walls. I initially tried a line-based family, but when I had to make adjustments to the length or direction of the conduit, the dimension length would not update in the element properties panel or in the schedule. I then used a generic family for creating a vertical and horizontal extrusion so the length could be adjusted per instance. But using these families makes it hard to rotate to different angles and directions. a line based family works the best for this condition, but I can't seem to get the length to adjust correctly. the two images attached shows the conduit at one length and then adjust to show the length not updating.

about the family:  I classified the conduit family as "Electrical Equipment." There is a shared parameter called LENGTH that is acting as a reporting parameter, because the line-based parameter "Length" is not showing up in the Field category to be added to a schedule.

Is there something I might be missing or could there be another alternative way to look at this?

Thank.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: ncopley

Most likely, the culprit is the reporting parameter. Change that to a normal length parameter. Reporting parameter should be used for obtaining a distance that is the result of other changes in the family, not a direct distance, as in this case.

Other comments:

• If you are dealing with conduits, you might consider upgrading to the Building Design Suite, so that you can use actual conduits from the Revit MEP tools, instead of a line-based family.

• However, if you want to continue with line-based families, and scheduling distances, please refer to this video that I made recently about a line based family for another purpose (egress path), but it can help you to understand.

http://youtu.be/gqIvwwmQ0ME

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 3
aqdus
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Video is unavailable

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report