Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

importing

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
nsgarrod
101 Views, 4 Replies

importing

I imported a project from ADT. My problem is that it recognizes the whole thing as one block. I have tried to explode it, but it says that it can't explode imported objects. Is there a way to get around this?
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sbrown
in reply to: nsgarrod

no, imports are just like xref's you don't explode them typically, unless they are a small detail or something.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

You have to import the dwg file and uncheck "Link (instead of import)". Once imported, select the object to modify it, then you can Full Explode if (options bar). Hope this can help. Daniel
Message 4 of 5
k8vitali

i have also been dealing with imports into revit 2008. i can get everything to come into the modeling file, but if i explode it i get the message "imported objects contain 3d data thatcannot be exploded. only 2d data was exploded." then the imported DWG. disappears. i have tried to make the DWG. file a 3DS file and import it after it was converted into faces, and the same issue still comes about. i know that revit is not intended to be a rendering engine like 3DSmax or VIZ, but i am being asked to make it one for the time being.
The issue i am trying to overcome is that when i import say a trim for a wall opening, revit does not recognize it and will not render it. it is listed as 3dtext.dwg import. i have gone in under object styles and settings to make sure that there are material assignments to the imports, and it still doesnt make a difference.
final question that is interrelated to this positng is "how can i put trim around an opening, similar to a door that wraps up and around and down the opening. i have tried to create a cased opening component and i cannot get a wall sweep to run vertically- i am out of ideas, or maybe i am thinking too hard on this, but if anyone has any ideas about anything i have just written a novel on, please reply. i appreciate the insight. whew! thanks. ( i attached an image for clarification- the logo and the GRC trim around the gateway openings are what is causing this massive headache)
Message 5 of 5
melarch

Everyone is right, you can explode imported DWG 2D geometry, but if it is 3D geometry (i.e. AutoCAD or AutoCAD for Architecture then you cannot explode it. Think carefully about exploding 2D CAD geometry as it can and often explodes into many more Revit objects than in the imported CAD drawing.

As for materials assigned to an imported 3D CAD object, Revit does not receive the material assigned when imported. Revit will in Revit 2008 send the materials assigned to its components to AutoCAD and from AutoCAD materials will be passed on to VIX or 3DMAX, but not the reverse to Revit.

The only way you can assign a material to an imported 3D object in Revit is to first bring the object into a Revit family and assign a material in the family, then load the family into Revit.

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
Modeling the Future/Drafting the Past

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report