Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hole / shaft - problems

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
nasanin.rashidian
2155 Views, 18 Replies

hole / shaft - problems

I have a building model which contains 2 floors. There are also stairs in the building. Between the stairs there is a ceiling and I cannot draw a hole in there. So the stairs go “into” the ceiling. How can I solve this problem? on the picture you can see the front-view. and I need to remove only a part of the ceiling. I considered drawing a vertikal hole, but it does not allow me to do so. . When I draw a shaft, that means, that the hole goes from cellar to roof. This leads to my next problem: I have installation shafts in my building which lead from cellar to roof, but I do not want any holes in the ceiling or the ground. How can I solve these problems?
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

About the hole in the ceiling:

12-23-2012 9-23-14 AM.jpg

By the way, (your post does not contain the picture that you mention in the post).

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 19

Well I made an attachment. I don't know why it does not appear. And I can imagine how to do that, but it does not work with my programm. I have the Revit 2013 version. With which tool should I make the hole? Besides I have the German version. There are shafts or holes. As I mentioned shafts go from roof to ground and that is not what I want. I just want a hole in one ceiling. Could you please tell me which tool I should use. There is no such a "grid" as you have shown.
Message 4 of 19

Select the ceiling > Edit boundary > Draw the hole inside > Finish.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 19

I tried - it does not work. I cannot draw the hole inside. The only thing I could change is the boundry of the ceiling. I don't want to change this, because I only want to draw a hole inside. But I cannot select anything else then the origin boundry. In my opinion this is a kind of senseless. Why should I modify my whole ceiling when I only want a hole inside? Besides: what about my installation shafts? I have holes in the ground and roof. This should not be.
Message 6 of 19

And, like I said, I have the German version. Maybe there are some differences in the terms?
Message 7 of 19

To make a hole in the ceiling, we edit the sketch of the ceiling. Otherwise, another option is Architecture > Opening > By face.

About the shaft, check the properties of the shaft. Check the settings for base constraint, base offset, top constraint, and top offset. By doing that, you are giving information to Revit about where you want to shaft to begin and where to end.

Message 8 of 19

Architecture > Opening > By face -- does not work. tried that a lot. but as I said: I cannot select anything. how should I edit the sketch of the ceiling? It's the same as before. Changing the boundry etc. is all in the sketch-mode. And again - as I said: can't modify anything except the origin boundry. don't want to do that, because otherwise I would not have any ceiling.
Message 9 of 19

A hole in a ceiling can be done by any of the 2 methods that I have mentioned. Editing the sketch of the ceiling, or using Opening by face.

Message 10 of 19

Thank you, but both of the methods do not work. Editing the sketch: I have to change my whole ceiling. For me, that makes no sense. Because when I change it, I loose the origin ceiling. I just want to make a hole. Besides I cannot really edit the sketch. I would have to delete the old ceiling and make a new one. Should I really do so? Opdening by face: does not work because when I try to, I cannot select anything. WHY??? I tried both methods before you even suggested. If I did not, I would not write here in your discussion group! Really, it does not work and I don't know why.
Message 11 of 19

So now I tried again and again...1. Opening by face does not work at all because I still cannot selct anything. Meaning I cannot make any openings at all. 2. the shafts I've drawn are still shown in the roof and in the ground, as well. I do not want that. I want the roof to be closed and the ground as well. I tried to edit the sketch, draw a opening... nothing works. 3. editing the sketch of the ceiling does not work. I can only edit in line with the walls beyond. And when I do so a failure message occurs that the walls and the ceiling are not compatible. I feel like I'm in a vicious circle!
Message 12 of 19

Well, the methods that I have mentioned do work. The fact that they are not working for you does not mean that the methods "don't work". You are doing something incorrectly but I can't determine what it is. Please refer to the help documents for the details about how to use these tools.

Message 13 of 19

I did! Otherwise I would not write here! Thanks for the "support".
Message 14 of 19

Please copy the ceiling to a new revit file, and post it here so we can take a look.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 15 of 19

@nasanin.rashidian wrote:
I did! Otherwise I would not write here! Thanks for the "support".

In case you have not noticed, I have already posted 5 messages in this thread, trying to help you, with some posts on Sunday and some on Christmas day. Oh, well...Merry Christmas ! 🙂

Message 16 of 19

seems that I cannot add any attachments. further I cannot chose any options.
Message 17 of 19

I'm not really sure you have a full understanding of how sketch mode works.  If you want to create a "hole" in something (floor, ceiling, filled region, wall), then you have to do exactly what Alfredo said, and draw another boundary within the outer boundary, and the ceiling just won't be created in that area.  This has nothing to do with the fact that you have the German version.

Try this: start a new filled region.  While in sketch modraw draw two concentric circles, then finish sketch mode.  You should now have a hole in your filled region.  Now go back to your ceiling, select it, and choose "edit boundary".  While in sketch mode, draw additional lines around the area where you want the hole, and choose finish sketch.  

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 18 of 19

I tried to do what he said but it does not work - for me. What Alfredo has shown in his first post - I don't have a tool that even would look similar! Maybe I have, but if so, it does not work the way it should. I tried again now, as you said. Still no hole! There are two situations: 1st: sketch-mode editing the boundry of the ceiling: so when I draw circles or whatever...I only get another ceiling above my ceiling. like two ceilings, no hole. because I'm in the sketch mode of "drawing a ceiling" and there is no option for making holes or openings. 2nd: trying to make a opening/hole/shaft - I do not even get to the sketch mode. It does not work. And as I do not get to the sketch-mode, I cannot selct anything. The only thing is: the sign of my mouse changes from arrow to cross. but even then I cannot select anything. So I think I'm going to deinstall everything, then install everything again and I'll see if it works then the way you describe. thank you and merry christmas!
Message 19 of 19

you should try creating a in place family (Home, component, In Place) then select family category ceiling, then choose VOID from FORMS and create the desired share (rectangular or circle etc.) now finish and make sure that the newly created shape goes through the original ceiling, now go to modify and choose cut geometry option and select the ceiling and the void. you should get the desired result.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report