Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

family opening tool

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Moshe-A
659 Views, 15 Replies

family opening tool

Guys

i have created a custom family base on Generic_Models_wall_based.rfa. the only thing i have put in is a rectangle opening in wall

measure it with width + height parameters + 2 parameters for the Sill Height and Head Height (U.K + O.K)

the target of it is to create a family for wall holes and tag it so i would have in drawing the Sill Height + Head Height

when bringing this family in project, the Sill Height does not work instead the Elevation parameter (instance param under constraints in properties)

controls the sill height of the opening thus the tag does not reflact the real U.K of the opening

how can i solved this?

does revit has a special tag for simple wall opening (i'm not talking about windows or doors just a hole in wall)

thanks in advance

Moshe

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Paul_F_Aubin
in reply to: Moshe-A

WHat you did is fine, but if you want to tag the parameters, they have to be shared parameters. Revit does not have a generic opening category. So if you want to use the built-in system parameters for sill height and head height, they would have to be doors or windows. If you prefer to keep them generic, then shared parameters is what you need. 

paul

Paul F. Aubin

Paul F. Aubin Consulting Services, Inc.
Check out my books and training videos
paulaubin.com
Message 3 of 16
Moshe-A
in reply to: Paul_F_Aubin

Paul,

forgot to mention Sill Height + Head Height are shared parameters

Moshe

Message 4 of 16
Paul_F_Aubin

What category do you have the family set to? Is it Generic Model? If so then the tag needs to be set to Generic Model Tag. Then in the label properties dialog in the tag family, you click the small icon at the bottom left to add a parameter. There you shoudl be able to select your shared parameters. 

Hope that helps. 

paul

Paul F. Aubin

paulaubin.com
Message 5 of 16
Moshe-A

Paul,

No i think you are missing what i'm asking, i will post my families later tonight.

Moshe

Message 6 of 16
Moshe-A

Paul,

talked to a far coworker and he advised me that the only way to solve this (as you suggested) is to set the family as window category

as far as i'm concern this a poor solution cause this is not a window and i do not want it to be in windows schdeules.

thank you very much for your help

Moshe

Message 7 of 16
Paul_F_Aubin

Well, the window category does have the built in sill parameter, so that part is certainly easier. However, you should be able to use shared parameters to make it work as a generic model. If you want to post the file, I can take a look. 

If you do end up going with window, try adding a Yes/No parameter (also shared) to the family so you can filter them out of the schedules. 

paul

Paul F. Aubin

paulaubin.com
Message 8 of 16
Moshe-A

Paul,

here is the families to play with, note the elevation pararameter (instance) that controls the 'sill height'

thanks

Moshe

Message 9 of 16
Moshe-A

by the way paul

what do you think about my previous thread?

have you got a workaround?

revit 2014 - underlay does not work in link

04-28-2014 10:48 PM

hi guys,

have a project (a multi story building) were the levels are link-in, i opened the linked 2nd floor (for example) and set underlay and underlay orientation as RCP to see all the beams benith the floor above in dash dot line style and it works fine. go to level 2 in the hosted project reload the link but the underlay beams does not showup.

what i am missing?

Moshe

Message 10 of 16
AJA14

Hi,

Change the discipline to coordination and you should be able to see the beams.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 11 of 16
Paul_F_Aubin

I played a little with your family. Everything is set up correclty, and I can get the schedule and tags to report the values of your shared parameters just fine. However, I suspect that you really want the height above the level. Well this is the part that is not behaving. For whatever reason, Revit does not let us schedule the built-in offset or elevation parameters that control the location of these objects. This makes this a bit challenging. 

I noticed you are on 2013. So you have to use a multi-category schedule. In 2014 and 2015 you can do a generic model schedule for what its worth. 

I guess to truly get a sill height, you might have to resort to window. Sorry about that. 

paul

Paul F. Aubin

paulaubin.com
Message 12 of 16
Moshe-A

thanks paul (and don't be sorry)

i also test in R2014 and it's the same behaviour

Message 13 of 16
Paul_F_Aubin

Right. The only difference is you can schedule directly. 

paul

Paul F. Aubin

paulaubin.com
Message 14 of 16
Moshe-A

what do you mean by that (schedule directly)?

in R2013 i can not and in R2014/R2015 i can?

Message 15 of 16
Moshe-A
in reply to: AJA14

thanks Ali

Message 16 of 16
Paul_F_Aubin

In 2014, they added the Generic Model as a category for schedules. So instead of having to do a multi-cateogory and filter other objects out, you can do a Generic Model Schedule. 

paul

Paul F. Aubin

paulaubin.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report