Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

docking problem

49 REPLIES 49
SOLVED
Message 1 of 50
konetarchitecture
23541 Views, 49 Replies

docking problem

I just opened two separate projects in Revit Architecture 2014 and the Properties window and the Project Browser Window will not dock. When I double click on the top tab of each one, it will expand in width to the full width of my screen. What happened? I recently upgraded from 2013 to 2014. Is this a 2014 glitch??? Please help.

49 REPLIES 49
Message 2 of 50

No - this is not a glitch - more of an enhancement. 

Each browser is on its own tab that you can switch between.

You can 'tear' them off and have them dock as you did in 2013 if you would like.

It takes a little fidgeting to get it set - but it can work.

With one pallet open - grab one of the tabs at the bottom and drag it away and drop it.

Select the Pallet and move it to the titlebar of the pallet still in place on the left side of the screen(if that is where it is) and hold untill the outline shows it in a docked position and then let go.

I have attached an image for reference.

I kind of like the tabs for the windows - but would love it if when I selected an element - it automatically switched back to the Properties pallet. Maybe in a futire release!

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 50
Anonymous
in reply to: konetarchitecture

I hate these dockable windows.

It's a great idea, but there is no obvious way to return to the default.

I accidentaly undocked and separated my project browser from the properties window, both of which were neatly stacked on the left side of my screen as they have been for years and years, during which I have developed a reliance on them being there.

They will not dock to the left side of the screen, and there is no obvious "return to default" option.  They will only dock, full width, at the top or bottom of the screen, which is as unhandy as possible.  The idea that grouping them is an enhancement is great, if that's what one wants, but I don't.  How does one restore the normal configuration - project browser and properties window stacked on the left, properties on top?  And how does one fix them so that an accidental double click (such as bumping your mouse into a monitor stand or keuboard) doesn't undock your menus?

Message 4 of 50
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I was able to solve the problem by disabling multiple monitors, and then it was possible to dock windows on the side of the screen.

Message 5 of 50
Anonymous
in reply to: LisaDrago

The new feture is terrible. When you join them it shows part of one in the other but nothing is selectable, when you separate them and close Revit and come back they are completely gone and you have to turn them of and back on again then re-dock them. Very Glitchy..

Message 6 of 50
Anonymous

I was hoping this issue would be resolved in the update but apparently not. Is there any plans on addressing this issue for future updates? I am not going to upgrade my entire office and have everyone complaining to me all day about something I cant fix. I will leave everyone on 2013.

Message 7 of 50
rosskirby

This sounds like it may be an issue with your video card, as this is the first I've read about it.  Could you try updating your drivers?

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 8 of 50
Anonymous
in reply to: rosskirby

I'm having the same issues as everyone below.  Is a fix being worked on?  I'm inclinde to go back to 2013 just so I don't have to keep sliding my drawing over because of Figure-1 below!  Having the forced full-width windows as shown in Figure-2 doesn't make sense to me.

Notes:

1. I updated my video card driver before loading Revit 2014.
  2. I like the Properties and Browser windows docked together with the tabs because it saves having to resize and scroll them so much.

Revit 2014 Dockable Windows Issues.jpg

Message 9 of 50

I am sorry you are having so much trouble with the docking windows...

It takes a little finagling to get them in place but it can be done.

You have to be patient and watch for the outline of the dialog box before letting go.

If it gets moved out of place - then just double click on the title and it will snap back in place.

It really isn't hard - you just have to practice and be patient.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Message 10 of 50
Anonymous
in reply to: konetarchitecture

What ever.. Be patient that is your responce? What a load of crap, we pay thousands of dollars a year for crap Autodesk just throws together at the last minute and then we have to deal with your short comings. Thanks for nothing. How about fixing the crap and sending out an update? We are not the government we actually have to work with you software. So I am supposed to patiently spend 10 20 minutes to get a stupid window to doc then when I close that project and open another the docked window just disapear and I have to be patient and do it again? Terrible response.

Message 11 of 50
AlisderBrown

Have you got dual monitors running? It makes it much more difficult to dock the bars if your pulling them to the side your 2nd screen is on. If so, disconnect the 2nd screen and dock the windows. I had this issue and done just that and works 1st time every time now. And if you move them again you can just double click the header bar of them to put them back where they were.

Also, when your docking them, after you dock the 1st one, when pulling the second one over, hover the mouse just underneath the top bar of the first one, you should see a kind of phantom black/grey outline showing where the 2nd one will get docked to. It should look like the attached image.

Unless you do actually have a graphics card issue this is very easy to do (aslong as you only have 1 monitor running)

Regards

Message 12 of 50

You seem to be a little upset...

You also seem to be VERY confused on whom I am...

I DO NOT WORK FOR AUTODESK.

I am an end user - JUST LIKE YOU.

I like YOU - and every other person and company ... Has short comings, both perceived and reality... So YES,  you do need to be patient with everyone and everything. Just as I am being right now with YOU.

As you get more familiar with positioning the dialog boxes - it should not take 10 to 20 minutes to get it back in place. If you take the time to learn how they respond to little movements and the best locations to get them to respond the way you want - it gets much easier.

There is no update for this since it is not an error. Just lack of understanding and unwillingness on the part of the end user to learn a new feature.

You can be as pissed off with me as much as you want. It will accomplish nothing and continue to show shortcomings we all have to deal with.

So if you are still with me and can continue reading...

If I read your response correctly - when you dock them - and then close out and reopen a project - they are not remaining where you previously docked them? Is that correct?

LD

Message 13 of 50
Anonymous
in reply to: AlisderBrown

Your right I am a little fustrated I do apologize I don't know why I would have thought you were actually from autodesk. Please forgive me for taking my frustrations out on you, thank you for your help. It is too bad we have to create work arounds.

Sorry again..

KH

Message 14 of 50
LisaDrago

Hello KH - apology accepted.

We all get frustrated, I certainly understand that. That is one of the reasons I am here - to hopefully alleviate some of that frustration. I try hard not add to it but I am not always on target.

Are you still having problems with them not staying docked after you close out of the program?

LD

Message 15 of 50
Anonymous

Well I feel like a real heal for being so ugly thank you for being so compassionate and understanding. I put in a support request with Autodesk but they weren't very helpful. And I thought your  reply yesterday was from them.

I had already figured out how to get tehm to dock but I did not know about the double clicking on the header so you were helpful thank you.

It doesn't happen all the time it is worse with one work staion that is a lap top with dual monitors.

It is wierd because even  when I close all projects the properties and project browser are still showing then when you open a project they just disapear but they are still checked to be on in the user interface. I can uncheck and check them back but then I have to reset them. The double click was definitely helpful.

I have updated video drivers but it didn't help.

Message 16 of 50
Anonymous

So the point to all of this is you can't use multiple monitors for REVIT?????  Every other piece of softaware I use realizes the advantage of this.

Message 17 of 50
Alisder.Brown

Arcitek

Yes, ofcourse you can

I use dual screens running Revit every day. There is no issue with the dual screens whatsoever, just have to spend 10 seconds setting them up with Revit first time then they run perfect.

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 18 of 50
Anonymous

It seems that, if you have identical monitors running identical resolutions, you are correct.  It works fine for me at the office where I have this setup.  However, at home, I have two monitors but with one of the monitors running a slightly lower resolution since it is a slightly different monitor.  Apparantly Revit does not like this even though all of my other software seems to be fine.

Message 19 of 50
Alisder.Brown

Strange, my main screen is high resolution 1920x1080 and my 2nd screen is 1280x1024 and Revit works fine using dual screens.

What is it that is not working?

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 20 of 50
Anonymous

Wow, that is identical to my setup.  What occurs is the properties and project browser tabs keep jumping to the exact middle of my first monitor everytime I open the family editor.  I mean every-single-time.  I have to move these over to the second monitor each time.  I keep both of these on my second monitor to maximize real estate on the first monitor.  I have updated video card drivers for my ATI FriePro V7800, I use DVI connections, and all other software works fine.

At work, I have a nvidia quaddro fx4000.  I know it is not just me becasue others have reported this in several forumns focused on Revit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report