Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cutting rafter tails

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
wgrant
5033 Views, 6 Replies

cutting rafter tails

I have attempted to cut rafter and beam tails/ends to a plum cut, or a birds mouth over a wall, but have never been succesful.  Is there a way?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: wgrant

To cut a beam with a certain shape, use the Opening by Face tool :

4-13-2013 11-51-08 PM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 7
MKEllis
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks for that tip Alredo.

I've been using the Beam System tool to place rafters.

Is there a way of profiling the rafter end - and adding notches as above - to all rafters in the Beam System at the same time ?

So far I've been using Cut Planes & Ntching - but having to do each one individually.

Under Edit Type - there are very few options - and nothing that relates to the end profile.

Thanks

Martin

Message 4 of 7

in order to do this I use two other methods:

• Draw a vertical Reference Plane in an elvation in which to see the rafters in profil. This Reference Plane will cut the ends of the rafters....Select rafter , apply Cut and select then Reference Plane ...with Tab, select rafters one by one and apply cut till the last one
  • Place the beam on which the Beam System lays and then apply Cope ...it is very fast...
Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 5 of 7

Martin , already said it.....he is right....

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 7

How about if you want to apply a profile - more decorative - for rafters that will be exposed ?

Could you use the Opening by Face approach above to create a 'cutter' that you could then apply to rafter ends ?

I'm just thinking ahead for a project that I know I will be doing on Revit for a large house which will have a number of roof elements - some at differing pitches, rafter depths etc- but will need an exposed decorative rafter end.

Message 7 of 7
Studioearl
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

can you do this to all the rafters in the beam system?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report