Revit Architecture

Employee
loboarch
Message 11 of 13 (122 Views)

Re: Your suggestions aren't helpful if I can't pick that four...

12-10-2012 11:29 AM in reply to: kwg06516

I was able to do it with the project you posted.  I tested before I posted.  I tested tried with a development version of Revit I had open at the time.  I did not realize you are using Revit LT, I will test with that to see if there is a difference, but there should not be.  I just don't have a current version of LT installed.  I am installing now to test.

Jeff Hanson
Sr. Subject Matter Expert
Autodesk, Revit User Experience
Distinguished Contributor
kwg06516
Message 12 of 13 (113 Views)

You crawl out of one hole just to fall in another

12-10-2012 02:13 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Architecturally the slope defined edge method is the most sound in my opinion since it best reflects the methods of construction.  The shed rafters would be continuous to the ridge and the dormer side walls would bear on trimmer rafters of the gambrel.  Why Revit doesn't handle this cleanly I don't know, but it's beginnning to make sense why most of the beginner projects look like post modern Neutra.

Thank you, Alfredo.

Now if I can find a way to trim this horizontal eave element to the appropriate surfaces.

success.PNG

AutoCAD 2010

AutoCAD LT 2013

Revit Architecture LT 2013

Employee
loboarch
Message 13 of 13 (87 Views)

Re: Your suggestions aren't helpful if I can't pick that four...

12-12-2012 10:23 AM in reply to: loboarch

loboarch wrote:

I was able to do it with the project you posted.  I tested before I posted.  I tested tried with a development version of Revit I had open at the time.  I did not realize you are using Revit LT, I will test with that to see if there is a difference, but there should not be.  I just don't have a current version of LT installed.  I am installing now to test.

I did not get Revit LT finished install on Monday before I left and then was out of the office yesterday.  I checked this today in Revit LT and your dataset.  I was able to cut a dormer, I just neede to make sure the shed roof and the walls of the dormer were joined to the gambrel roof.  You need to have a clear edge between elements in order for the dormer tool to pick up the edge.  You can simply have geometry run past/through each other.  You need to join/attach to the adjacent elements or Revit does not "see" the edges.

Jeff Hanson
Sr. Subject Matter Expert
Autodesk, Revit User Experience

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube