Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can you make your own materials

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
scwhitehouse
307 Views, 4 Replies

can you make your own materials

When you create a new material, then pick a material to associate with for example 3 inch cotta tile, I want to create my own tile. Which is not just 3 inch, I want to create a tile that 12"24"12" any ideas
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
lizarch5
in reply to: scwhitehouse

If all you want to do is scale the image, as you say, there is a simple way to do this. Go into the material browser and click on the material in question. In the right hand pane, click on the Appearance tab. This will show what image file is associated with the material. Click on the little down arrow next to the image which will display a list of choices - pick the bottom one "edit image". Within the dialogue box that appears, the image file is shown with a vertical and horizontal dimension showing the scale of the image as it will be used in your model. You can change the x and y scale of the image to be whatever you want.

Another useful capability is that on the Appearance tab, instead of clicking on the little down arrow, you can click on the image file name. This will pop up an entire library of image files to choose from which you can associate with the material instead of the default image file. I regularly use this to change the color of a material. I simply edit the image file in Microsoft Office's photo editor which has a pretty simple ability to change the color and brightness/contrast of an image file. Save it to a new name because the files in the Autodesk folder are write-protected. Then select it as the image file to be associated with your material and, voila, you have created your own material (green siding instead of tan siding, or orange brick instead or red brick).

You can also use your own image files, or third party image files, but you have to be careful that they are set up to tile correctly. I have a whole library of different stone images from Cultured Stone's free StoneCAD software which are intended for this sort of use and therefore do tile properly. This multiplies many-fold the range of stone looks you can achieve in Revit.

Message 3 of 5
scwhitehouse

Yes, I know all about what you said in first two paragraphs, I took 3 in cotta stone and made into 12" tile, but I can scale to make 12" and 24" in the same image, you understand what I am saying, I will take a look at cultured stone's free StoneCad software. Thanks for the response.
Message 4 of 5
scwhitehouse

If there misunderstanding you cannot scale part of the image. In a typical square image I want 12" on sides and in middle 24" tile.
Message 5 of 5
lizarch5

I guess you have a couple options to do what you are trying to do. I have done tile patterns like what you are talking about simply by making a material that is plain terra cotta without any grout pattern and then applying that material to different size tiles which I then layout in the desired pattern. It's a little painstaking, but I think less so than trying to doctor an image file. I guess it depends how large an area you need to cover.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report