Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

basic wall

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
249 Views, 5 Replies

basic wall

how to give structure to wall?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

In what ways you want to specify the structure to the wall?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

I'm not the one who initially posted the question, obviously, but I'm looking for a tangentially similar question/answer..
In my case, I wanted to get feedback on what the best way to build walls with actual wood stud framing in them in an entirely accurate manner. That is to say, 2x4 or 2x6 studs, 16" o.c., with top plates, base plates, headers, etc etc.. I've been told by some revit people that actually modeling all of the studs in a project, even a modestly sized residential one, isn't a worthwhile or entirely reasonable proposition, however my boss is pretty excited and insistent about doing it, and doing it as accurately and completely as possible.
Has anyone done something like this? When I've used structural members in revit before I've almost always had problems negotiating with their connections and their interactivity, I'm forseeing even more of these sorts of problems if we try to build every stud in to the project.
Thanks!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

You could model every stud in a building if you created a family that arrayed your studs. It would be a serious pain to work with and likely not worth the trouble and the number of modelled objects all those sticks of lumber would bring in would slow down . It would be better to simply edit the structure of an architectural wall to have a 3.5" space in it for your 2x4 studs and so on. Then when you cut sections or details to draw in with detail components or detail lines.

It is always important to remember that as you keep adding more and more objects into your model you increase the load on your system every time it needs to refresh your screen. This is why I always suggest to keep a model as simple as possible and to work out the finer detailing in section views and detail views with detail lines or detail components that do not clutter up the main model and create more work for your computer.
Message 5 of 6
mmcgrath

Another thing to consider, I have'nt tried this but, if you created or edited your wall to provide a sweep at the base and top of the wall to represent your base and top plates, then create a wall based family inside the wall which would provide the vertical studs (consraints and types very important) then edit your door styles to show all the trimmings!

Again like the othe comments, i would'nt consider doning this but, as we all know the Boss is the Boss!
Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Thanks guys, pretty much confirms what I've been told elsewhere. I've already begun experimenting with creating a wall-based family to array and properly constrain the vertical studs, and was suspecting that the top and bottom plates would work best as reveals within the wall family, glad to know that I'm at least sort of on the right track. The sweep idea might work better than building the reveals in to the wall. Really just wanted to make sure there wasn't some sort of magic bullet out there that I wasn't aware of. As you say, the boss is the boss, and despite the fact that it isn't really practical or efficient to model all of the wall framing, I'm just trying to see it as an interesting and informative experiment.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report