Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding muttons to existing family

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
yulia
415 Views, 7 Replies

adding muttons to existing family

I am trying to create a new family out of existing double hung window provided in an Autodesk Library. I made a solid and extruded it to the height of the window frame. Then locked all ends to the frame. When I change the window height in the Family Types parameters the horizontal mutton moves off the center. When I created a guideline (ref. Plane) eq./ eq. and tried to lock the edges to it and then change dimensions of the window it gives me a message that "Constraints are not satisfied". How do I adjust the middle horizontal mutton so it always stays in the middle no matter how tall the window gets? Please see attached file. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: yulia

Remember, when adding anything into a family, create Ref Planes first, then dimension and add parameters. Then 'flex' the model. If it works as expected, then add geometry, locking to the Ref Planes. Sounds like you built the muntins first, locked them to other geometry (the frame), then tried to go back and make more Ref Planes. I'll take a look at your attachement, and see if I can help.... SD "yulia" wrote in message news:9324046.1101145515702.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I am trying to create a new family out of existing double hung window provided in an Autodesk Library. I made a solid and extruded it to the height of the window frame. Then locked all ends to the frame. When I change the window height in the Family Types parameters the horizontal mutton moves off the center. When I created a guideline (ref. Plane) eq./ eq. and tried to lock the edges to it and then change dimensions of the window it gives me a message that "Constraints are not satisfied". How do I adjust the middle horizontal mutton so it always stays in the middle no matter how tall the window gets? Please see attached file. Thanks.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Take a look at the attached **fixed** file and see it it makes any sense. -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "yulia" wrote in message news:9324046.1101145515702.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... >I am trying to create a new family out of existing double hung window >provided in an Autodesk Library. I made a solid and extruded it to the >height of the window frame. Then locked all ends to the frame. When I >change the window height in the Family Types parameters the horizontal >mutton moves off the center. When I created a guideline (ref. Plane) eq./ >eq. and tried to lock the edges to it and then change dimensions of the >window it gives me a message that "Constraints are not satisfied". How do I >adjust the middle horizontal mutton so it always stays in the middle no >matter how tall the window gets? Please see attached file. Thanks.
Message 4 of 8
yulia

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help, but I can't open the file. Do you have Revit 7? I am still using Revit 6.1. If you could save this file in a 6.1 version I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

oops... sorry... I don't even have 6.1 on my system anymore and you can't save down to previous versions in Revit anyway. Get 7.0!! -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "yulia" wrote in message news:14788010.1101221614316.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hi Paul, > > Thanks for your help, but I can't open the file. Do you have Revit 7? I am > still using Revit 6.1. If you could save this file in a 6.1 version I > would really appreciate it. > > Thanks.
Message 6 of 8
yulia

Thanks anyway,

Our office should be getting 7 some time very soon. So I will be able to look at it. I will let you know then. Can you throw couple of words on what have you done to it? (so that I could do it myself next time) :)?

Best regards,
Yulia.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

I'll try, I'm better at doing that telling... :o) First thing... You need to add reference planes at the inside face of your window frame; then dimension and lock that plane to the outside of your window (as seen by the 1 1/4" dimension, in the attached Elevation view) - Do this top and bottom. Then, create TWO more reference plane to locate the center of your grilles... create an EQ constraint between the reference planes for the grille and the inside of the window frames (see left side of the attached elevation view). Now take a look at how I did the grille (see the attached Elevation (grille) file)... You need to dimension and lock the lines which represent the grill to the reference planes which locate the center of the grille... For simplicity I used one solid extrusion for the top pane and one for the bottom (instead of four).. Make sure you dimension and LOCK the reference planes for the grille then align and lock the grille lines to the reference planes... Clear as mud? :o) -- Regards, Paul Monsef ----------------------------- TSA | architects, pllc Production/CAD Manager 425.401.6828 x105 paulmonsef_NOSPAM_@tsaarchitects.com "yulia" wrote in message news:14089634.1101230739247.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Thanks anyway, > > Our office should be getting 7 some time very soon. So I will be able to > look at it. I will let you know then. Can you throw couple of words on > what have you done to it? (so that I could do it myself next time) :)? > > Best regards, > Yulia.
Message 8 of 8
yulia

Thanks so-o-o-o-o much. I will definitely try it myself now. (I can't open your drawing anyway yet 😞 ). It was not "couple of words" but you did a great job explaining that to me. :). I will let you know if it worked.

Best regards,
Yulia.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report