Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workstation vs Desktop for Revit?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
leitrum3
216 Views, 1 Reply

Workstation vs Desktop for Revit?

A little general guidance here would be nice...

My firm already runs Revit 8 on a small number of computers, but the others are in need of an upgrade. So, in looking at what to get on a budget, we've been examining the outlet refurbished Dells. The question is, is it more logical to get a cost-effective gaming machine than it would be a 380 workstation or something of the like? The gaming machines come with more bells and whistles, bigger drives, etc for the money. However, the discussion with some of my co-workers is that the architecture of the graphics card and motherboard is more appropriate for these applications and even if the workstation has a G card with only 128 mb, it's going to use it more optimally with Revit and Cad. There are no comparison benchmarks so it's impossible to produce any backing. So, I throw it to the community and see what you guys have to say.

Thanks.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
sbrown
in reply to: leitrum3

When I was purchasing equipment from dells refurbished, I always got the dual xeons with as much ram as possible 2 gig, the rest doesn't matter too much. But I have yet to run revit better on anything else. The nice thing about the dual xeons is when you need to render, accurender can take advantage of the dual processors. I'm sure there maybe better technology out there, but I was very happy with the refurb, dells.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report