Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with Multiple Disciplines

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
SMILES
289 Views, 2 Replies

Working with Multiple Disciplines

I am new to Revit and have been tasked with setting up the first project and figuring it out for the rest of the office.  Note, I am an avid user of Autocad Architecture, just so you know where I am coming from.  My firm has Architecture, Structural, MEP and Civil under one roof.   I am the architectural dept....

Question:  I have created the project and made it the Central Model.  Do I want the other disciplines to create there own model and do a file link or do I want them to use worksets or just copy the central model to their workstation and synchronize? 

It says in the help files that you should make a copy of the Central Model to your workstation to work on and then synchronize periodically...  Is this copy a workset?  If not, what is the difference?  For now, I only plan to have one person in each dept working on the project- accept Civil, I will deal with them seperately.

I was leaning towards file linking because thats how I think coming from Autocad, but I read that file linking would be more appropriate for "Campus" type projects with multiple buildings.

Just trying to grasp this- any help or ideas or descriptions of how your firms use it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Steve Miles

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: SMILES

I suggest you, if you are under subscription, to watch some of the classes about these topics in Autodesk University, and read some of the handouts. There are several good classes about all this in the catalog. Not only from this year, but from previous years as well.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 3
LisaDrago
in reply to: SMILES

I certainty agree with Alfredo, you will need to brush up on this before you really attempt it.

From my past working in a multi-discipline firm - Each discipline should have its own model and link in the other disciplines as needed.

Typically the Arch will start the process and then the MEP and structural will link in the arch model and start working from that.

THey can copy monitor elements like grid lines and levels to  make sure if anything moves - they will be alerted to it and can make the necessary changes.

This is just barely a scratch into all that goes on - you will need to really learn the workflows. Do you have any books on hand? I would suggest the  Mastering Autodesk Revit Architecture 2013 by Phil ReadJames Vandezande and Eddy Krygiel. It is a really good book - they also have an essentials book you can use - it has all the beginning information.

Don't hessitate to post more questions - we are here to help!

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report