Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow for exporting to 3ds Max Design ?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
MKEllis
475 Views, 3 Replies

Workflow for exporting to 3ds Max Design ?

I've been looking for a site / tutorial that outlines a detailed workflow for exporting a model from Revit and into 3ds Max for rendering and animation.

I'm particularly interested in how best to set a model up in revit to make this process less painful - particularly around material assignments, mapping etc. so that I can switch from the multi-material (using material IDs) setup that comes into Max over to the Architectural & Design materials.

Many thanks

Martin

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi Martin,

You can find some informations on the subject :

Autodesk University : 

• AB5115
  • AB5217
  • AV4672-V

Also usefull: http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/3dsmaxdesign_2010_using_autodesk_revit_files00.pdf

Constantin

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 3 of 4
MKEllis
in reply to: MKEllis

Many thanks Constantin, that tutorial is pretty useful.

One of the things I've been looking at is the default material assignments that come over within assemblies (ie walls) - as currently the window reveals are treated as a single plane / material, where in actual fact I need the outer part of the reveal to match the external wall and the internal reveal to match the internal finish. It may be that I'm simply missing something in the setup process.

I think it's something I need to play around with for a while to work out a workflow that is efficent as well as effective.

I'm used to detailed mapping / unwrap operations in Max, and in the use of material IDs on faces - I think I need to do some trial and error to see how elements export, and how much mapping setup I can do in Revit - and how much i better left until it is in 3ds Max.

Martin

Message 4 of 4

"One of the things I've been looking at is the default material assignments that come over within assemblies (ie walls) - as currently the window reveals are treated as a single plane / material, where in actual fact I need the outer part of the reveal to match the external wall and the internal reveal to match the internal finish. It may be that I'm simply missing something in the setup process."

Are you asking why wrapping at inserts appears only on right-left side and not also on top-botom of the inserted window?....(if you have for instance a thermo-insulation placed in the exterior side of the wall) 

If so, I don't know...it would be this option...but I didn't find it...

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report