Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window family template and sill height

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
bgarch
4747 Views, 7 Replies

Window family template and sill height

Has anyone found this problem.
The metric window template has a type parameter "defalt sill height".
When the window is inserted into a drawing a instance parameter under constraints called "sill height" appears.

Both sill height are independent. You change one the other does not change. If the window has different sill heights, wierd things happen with the way they appear.
There seems to be no way to delete the instance parameter.

My question is:
Am I missing something? Why was the template designed this way?
Is there a way to delete the instance parameter as it doesn't appear when editing the family?

Do I really have to fill 2 out values in the project when I change the sill height of a window??????
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
melarch
in reply to: bgarch

You are not missing anything, except that the Default sill height is a Type parameter and the Sill hieght is an instance parameter. That being said, let me explanin the difference as they are intended to control the window family template.

The Default sill height is a place holder for the obvious; to set the default sill height above the floor reference line/level when you are setting up your window family. In other words you need a constraint/label/parameter when yuo set up a family to control the position of your window geometry in the wall.

The Sill height (instance parameter) that is available after a window type has been placed in a wall is to give you control over each and every instance of a window type position.

So inorder for a window family to been created you need to have a constraining parameter determininig its position above the walls level/reference plane. Of course you can place the window any height in the wall during initial insertion, but the family still needs it constraining parameter relation between the floor reference and to the window geometry, which could be the head instead of the sill, but none the less some relational constraint.

Mel Persin, AIA
Message 3 of 8
bgarch

O.K. I understand that. Tell me then, once I have constructed the window in the family should I reset the "default sill height" to "0" and use the instance parameter once it is inserted? My main concern is that both paramaters seem to control the sill height independent of each other and we have had funny things happening such as the window not showing correctly in cut plan.
I really don't want to have to remeber to change the sill height twice as guaranteed I will forget at some time.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

I thought if we set the instance one to 0 and the default to what you want
it to be that it worked correctly.

wrote in message news:5306929@discussion.autodesk.com...
O.K. I understand that. Tell me then, once I have constructed the window in
the family should I reset the "default sill height" to "0" and use the
instance parameter once it is inserted? My main concern is that both
paramaters seem to control the sill height independent of each other and we
have had funny things happening such as the window not showing correctly in
cut plan.
I really don't want to have to remeber to change the sill height twice as
guaranteed I will forget at some time.
Message 5 of 8
melarch

Once more, the default sill height parameter is required as an initial constraint in the window family for other parameters associated with the actual window (ie. window height). It is easy for most users developing family content to think acculatively when placing and adding dimension strings. The alternative is to set the head height, which is my prefered method of positioning windows, since door heights more often dictate the height of the windows.

On placing the window family in your project model you have the oportunity to change the sill height or vertical position of the window for each instance of that window type.

Whether yo set the windows sill height to 0 in the family (looks odd with the window sitting on the floor reference line and viewing the window model) or some value above the floor line. I have not found it an incovience to place my windows 3' above a floor level reference and using the temporary dimension set it to the actual height. The fact that some windows occur above the cutting plane in a floor plan has little to do with this sill height type parameter and it is easy enough to go to an elevation view to correct windows inaccurately placed or use the Plan Region tool to adjust the height of the cut section for that portion of the wall or draw some detail lines using hidden line pattern to indicate where the window above the levels cut plane is positioned.

This is what we did in 2D drafted documents (ie. AutoCAD, etc.) to indicate a window. If your concern is you might forget to correct a windows sill height, then go into the family and create a default head height or add the sill height parameter to your window schedule and wither you or another associate review window placements to insure you positioned them correctly. There is no substitute for reviewing your work frequently as everyone makes mistakes and as good as Revit is in managing building components in every view of the model, it is still unable to antiicpate our real intentions for the correct size or placement.

Mel Persin, AIA
Message 6 of 8
peter2010
in reply to: melarch

This is confusing and does not make sense for construction documentation.  If the sill height is a "type" (locked) yet is override by the "default sill ht"  instance than there could be mistakes in the window schedule.  

Message 7 of 8
ToanDN
in reply to: peter2010

Revit will use the default sill height when you place a window in a floor plan.  Revit will show a blue guide line indicate the default sill height when you place a window in a elevation/section/3d view.  You can move the window up or down however you want after placing it.  The schedule only reports the actual sill height in in teh project, not the default sill height set in the family.

Message 8 of 8
vpierre1020
in reply to: melarch

How do you set the head as the default constraint when placing the window? I would like it to stay constant and have the sill move when I flex the window and NOT the head. I have gone in the family, deleted the default sill - you can delete built in constraints if you change the category to a generic model - dimension and locked the window head to the reference level. It past the test in the family editor, and everything moves as expected, but when I load it into the project it doesn't work. When I change the window height in the family type, the head moves and NOT THE SILL. Please help. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report