Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window cant make type problem

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
dcormack
1296 Views, 5 Replies

Window cant make type problem

Cannot insert any window in this wall (its 140mm blockwork single skin trimmed to the roof above) and tried different window families. Yet I can cut an opening and also insert any door. Any ideas whats happening?

Win cant make type 2.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
dcormack
in reply to: dcormack

But I can get round this by making up a window with a door family template. Same host, same geometry everything the same except category.

Message 3 of 6
rosskirby

Usually a "Can't Make Type" error is a result of a broken constraint within the family.  Open the window family that isn't working, go to the Family Types (click on the little box on the top left with the 4 blue boxes on it), switch to the family type you want to use, and click Apply.  If there's a constraint error, it will tell you what it is, and you can fix it (maybe).  After it's fixed, load the family back into the project, and try to place it again.  

If you're still having trouble, upload the family here and someone will take a look.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 4 of 6
dcormack

Think I have solved it - you are right about parameters. Its the relationship between wall type core thickness and window  parameters (offset, frame width etc). So if the wall core is less than the critical cumulative params of the window it cant make. 

Message 5 of 6
rosskirby

Glad that helped.

Just for future reference, most wall-hosted family templates only have a reference plane set for one face of the wall, but not both.  I usually go ahead and create a second reference plan for the other face, and tie the geometry to that.  That usually prevents the wall thickness of the host from breaking the geometry.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 6
andikasbudii
in reply to: rosskirby

Hey, if somebody could help me figure out whats the problem of my window ? which is still unable to load to project 

with this error message error message.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report