Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does revit have to upgrade when inserting a view?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
gbiallas
558 Views, 1 Reply

Why does revit have to upgrade when inserting a view?

All I want to do is insert some schedules from a 2013 project into a 2014 project. Why do I have to wait half an hour for the project to upgrade (and temporarily at that since I'm not going to save it) before I can select the views I want? Why can't the views be upgraded when inserted? This makes no sense.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
rosskirby
in reply to: gbiallas

Because the views and schedules don't exist independently of the rest of the data in the Revit file, the entire file has to be upgraded before a view can be read and inserted into another project.  A Revit file isn't like a directory of independent CAD files, where you can upgrade one that's xrefed into another without upgrading the host file.  All the views, schedules, and objects exist within a single file, so to get one part upgraded, you have to upgrade everything.  

If you find yourself continually pulling the same schedules, views, etc. from a file, consider either adding those elements to your template so that they're available on other projects, or upgrade and save a copy of the other file so that you don't have to wait for the upgrade every time.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report