Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does a sweep appear in blue ?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
MKEllis
3653 Views, 10 Replies

Why does a sweep appear in blue ?

I have a frame created as a sweep in a door family - but for some reason it always shows in blue linework, even when not selected.

Any idea if this is to highlight an error or other issue with the model ?

It seems to have appeared after I deleted the cut opening outline and replaced it with a couple of Void Extrusions (to allow me to control the wrap of the plaster finish and not have it impact on the structural opening size).

The frame does sit within an extrusion void, but it is not selected to cut it.

Thanks,

Martin

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

I am not sure if this could be the cause , but you can try to check the following:

1. select the frame - in Properties>Subcategory>select Frame/Mullion -now Revit knows what the sweep is......
  2. Manage>Object Styles>Model Objects>Doors >+>Frame/Mullion > Line Color - is it blue? try to change it ....does it change in your family?....if no, perhaps is another reason...

Image 253.png

Image 254.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 3 of 11

Thanks Constantin,

no joy on that one, I had tried looking at object styles, but frames are set to show green rather than blue. Sub-category had defaulted to <none> previously too.

There could be an issue somewhere in the file too. Previously I was able to switch a nested family (door leafs) via <Family Type>, but it now throws out any number of 'unable to satisfy constraint' errors when I try.

Looks like something has gone a bit up-the-left.

Message 4 of 11
MKEllis
in reply to: MKEllis

OK, when I select the sweep, the adjacent Void Extrusion shows in Orange - so is it somehow interacting with the frame ?

The void itself doesn't overlap with the frame sweep geometry, although it touches it (they are aligned with the same ref plane).

I have tried selecting them to 'Uncut' in case the void is trying to cut it, but that doesn't work either ?

Message 5 of 11
ChuckEdwards
in reply to: MKEllis

How's about posting the family so it can be tried'n'tested by others?

Might lead to a faster diagnosis...

Message 6 of 11
MKEllis
in reply to: ChuckEdwards

Thanks Chuck,

I'm just re-building the nested door leafs, mainly because I had the origin plane set to the face of the door rather than the center-line. I think this may have been causing a problem with flipping the door leaf within the host family - which I now assume is done about the origin ref. plane (which then causes an offset from the desired location).

Thanks,

Martin

Edited: I've stripped out the nested door leafs, and attached the main door assembly family. There is definitely something odd about the frame sweep interaction with the void extrusion. If anyone can throw some light on the problem it would be really appreciated - thanks.

Message 7 of 11

If in Object Styles>Model Objects>Doors> Line Color- change to black it works .....I do not understand....in your computer is not the same acting?

Your Door has no allocated subcategories. It'good to allocate them in order to can use different materials for frame and door lead,etc

Image 1.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 8 of 11

Thanks Constantin,

Can't try that out at the moment, I'll get back onto it this evening - hopefully you are right,

What would change the setting from black to blue though - it seemed to occur immediately after using the void extrusions and deleting the opening cut profile. I'm not sure why the void extrusion appears in orange whenever you select the frame either - there seems to be some sort of interaction between the two elements.

Thanks

Martin

Message 9 of 11

Thanks Constantin, that solved the blue colour for the frame element. Still not sure why it flipped over to blue, and still no wiser to why the adjacent void extrusion shows in orange when I select the frame, maybe some quirk with Revit.

As per your suggestion, I've been looking into subcategories. I can set them OK with elements in the main Host Family (Which is a Door Category), but I've set the door leafs (panels) as 'Metric Generic' category type, so I can't assign subcategories from the standard Door Category. I didn't set the door panels as 'Doors' as I read that it can interfere with scheduling (ie both the nested door leaf and the host door will appear on the schedule - 2 entries where there should only be 1 - unless this can be controlled by filters ?).

Any pointers woudl really be appreciated,

thanks again,

Martin

Message 10 of 11

You can create subcategories as you want and they will appear in schedule as I know...

Even if , by default in Generic Model there are no predefined subcategories , they can be created :

1. step 1 - being in Generic Model Family > Manage (1) >Object Styles (2) > Model Objects (3) > appears :Category -Generic Models with only one subcategory - Hidden Lines....Bottom -Right  you will see the option : Modify Subcategories (4) - push the button New > Enter a name for for the  new created subcategory .The new subcategory appears in the list (5)
  2. step 2...create an entity > select it (6) > Properties > Identity Data > Subcategory (7) > click on None and the pulldown list appear....you will see subcategory made in step 1 . Click on it to name your entity (8). 
  3. Once in the project, as I know, it must appear in schedules.....

Better , post the file to see exactly where the problem is....so not to recreate all...

step1

Image 260.png

step 2

Image 263.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 11 of 11

Thanks again Constantin, experimenting with subcategories at the moment.

Martin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report