Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't we turn off wall layers/objects in plan?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
BarryBinns
2140 Views, 3 Replies

Why can't we turn off wall layers/objects in plan?

Hi all,

I've seen the posts regarding manipulating wall layers or functions using Visibility/Graphics and then Object styles. This is not sufficient (for me anyway) and it turns off my veneer boundaries and leaves the exterior sheathing on. I want to see only the core of the wall and if I have it - brick/stone veneers.

My question and maybe this is better directed at Autodesk is why can't I pick and choose which objects on a wall that I want to show/see in plan not only on the screen but in the output? It seems very limiting to me not to be able to turn these on or aff as I see best for a particular project. If there is a way to control this other than entering multiple walls for the same effect please help me!

Thank you

Using Revit 2014 - and am longtime struggling user Smiley Frustrated

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

have you tried PARTS ?

If I understood you well, they do the job ....

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 3 of 4

Hi Constantin,

Thank you for the suggestion using parts. After much testing I was finally able to get it to work - sort of. 

Now comes the other questions.

When I use parts do I have to do it for each and every wall or is there a way to do this globally in the view and/or per wall type?

The walls now show as unjoined at the intersections (see attached), how can I get them to show joined while using parts? 

Does Autodesk do this on purpose to drive people like me nuts or am I just not understanding this program and its features?

Thank you again for your help and time!

Revit 2014

Message 4 of 4

Parts are override by View.

I suggest to make a small test:

1. being in Level 1 , make a duplicate of the view - call it Level 1- Parts
  2. now , you let Level 1 unchanged and go to Level 1- Parts - select one of the walls, then right click and choose :Select All Instances > choose , for the beginning , Visible in View (to an easier control ) - from Modify/Walls >click Parts.
  3. You will see that all the same walls are now Parts..you can select every layer separately
  4. Open view Level 1  and you will see that the walls are unchanged...the visibility of Parts is controled from  Properties>Visibility/Graphics Overrides > Edit > Visibility/Graphics Overrides for Floor Plan:Level 1> Model Categories> Parts - in this view Parts is uncheck ( in Level 1- Parts is checked) - if you check Parts they will override the walls in this view too.
  5. Parts and Walls coexist...
  6. If you want to join Parts from two different walls select both parts with CTRL (must be the same layers) and from Modify/Parts > Merge  - they will join...
Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report