Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the deal with dimension parameters??

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
znewkerk
442 Views, 10 Replies

What's the deal with dimension parameters??

Hello, I need someone to tell me why when I have a dimension parameter I am not able to flex it in the family type box with out constraint problems.How ever if I am in a 2D view I am able to click the reference plane I want to move and then flex it by typing in a measurement in the dimension parameter.

This makes no sense to me, I would really appreciate feedback if anyone has an idea why this is

-Zac

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
LisaDrago
in reply to: znewkerk

Is it possible to post the family you are working on?

If it telling you it is over constrained - then there is a conflict somewhere... It cannot flex everything and have it work properly.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 11
znewkerk
in reply to: LisaDrago

Do you want me to post a picture or the family file?
Message 4 of 11

From my former experience when something alike happens to me , I  observed that it was a problem with one of the two Reference Planes that Defines Origin ....Try to Pin them . It could be unpined....Maybe this is the cause 

Anyway  is difficult without having the file... Can you send the file?

Image 1.png

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 5 of 11

Yeah I tryed pinning reference planes to see if it would work but still no luck.  in Blue is the parameter that i want to flex, and in Red is the reference plane i want to be flexing and when im in family types and i try to flex it says constraint error.. but if im in this view and click on the reference plane that the red arrow is pointing to i am able to type in a measurement for the parameter thats in blue..

Mast Pic.PNG

Message 6 of 11
znewkerk

Anyone ever have this problem or know how to fix it? 

I'd really appreciate it

-Zac

Message 7 of 11
CoreyDaun

Post the Family file here, if you could. What release of Revit are you using? It's often difficult to troubleshoot such issues based on an image.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 8 of 11
znewkerk
in reply to: CoreyDaun

I'm using Revit Architecture 2012.. I attached the file in the message i sent with the picture above.. But ill attach it again in this message

Message 9 of 11
CoreyDaun

Sorry - I overlooked the attachment!

I've looked into this a little bit, and I see exactly what you mean. It even works as expected if you disassociate the dimension from the parameter, select the Reference Plane, and then manually enter a distance. I haven't been able to find the cause of the problem, though.

I do have a way to make the Family at least functional. Instead of constraining the components from the Reference Plane that they're constrained to now, directly constrain each of the individual components to the Reference Plane  towards the bottom. See attached image.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 10 of 11
znewkerk
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Wow! I would have never have thought of doing that, I literally tried all possibilities except that. Looks a little funky to have that many dimensions but it works and that's all that matters haha.

Thank you sir, I appreciate it!!

Spoiler

-Zac

Message 11 of 11
Alfredo_Medina

When you deal with diagonals that need to be constrained, there are two good choices: reference lines constrained at the start ponts, or diagonals with their endpoints constrained to horizontal and vertical planes.. 

Using diagonal reference planes is a bad choice. They require too many constraints to stay in place, and will, most likely, break anyway, producing those errors that you are seeing. I think that is causing you problems in that family.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report